Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

afitzwater
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: ToraSamaDo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Martial arts organizations Reply with quote

As far as I know, the system that I have studied for the last 9 years is not affiliated with any organizations. The system isn't exactly mainstream so I doubt anyone here has heard of it.

It is ToraSamaDo and was founded by 10th degree black belt Shihan Bill Klase and only two schools for it exist. One in Florida which he owns and the second in Arizona which I own.

Now, my question is, what does it mean if you are not affiliated with an organizations? I see that many schools have separate fees just to be part of different ones and whatnot but don't know the real purpose for them.

Thanks for all your help

John G
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF Taekwon-Do, Wing Chun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect I’m puzzled by your question, the simple fact that very few have heard of ToraSamaDo attest to the rational behind having associations and federations.

Associations and federations are a necessary evil if you wish growth within a martial art. Why necessary? Set standards and support in numbers. Why evil? Within large associations / federations corruption, nepotism and greed generally sets in to the detriment of its members.

III Dan, ITF Taekwon-Do

Rich_2k3
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Trodai Karate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, my style of Karate is Trodai and we have only two clubs, one in Ashby and one in London, despite this my style is fantastic, its a fusion of styles including muay thai and Boxing, I've visted several schools i'd ive not seen any like mine, i'm not joking it really is very good.
However my style is affiliated with AMA (Amateur martial association) and my instucters are experienced in several martial martial arts.

TangSooGuy
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Werll in response to the Bill Klase/ ToraSamaDo question, I found this website:

http://www.atkarate.com/shihan.php

which states that he earned his BB in Shotokan and Judo "by 1966".

My organization doesn't even have a tenth dan, but if it did, it would be 2020 at the earliest before someone who got there first Dan in 1966 would be able to test for tenth Dan.

Now, I'm not trying to flame anyone, nor am I trying to call anyone's credentials into question. I'm just pointing out why so many people here automatically raise an eyebrow when someone claims to be a tenth dan.

Every system and organization has a different set of requirements, though.

I will say that I was not able to find anything negative posted on the web about ToraSamaDo, or about Bill Klase, so I for one won't say anything negative about someone whom I've never met, nor about a style to which i've never been exposed. Again, I'm simply trying to point out why the doubt has come up.

Luckykboxer
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kenpo Karate, Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Boxing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed this thread was started april 12..
and Bill Klause passed away on April 17th.

My condolences.

BTW this website belongs to the original poster.

K.Klase
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In response to afitzwater, Bill Klase was my father and Torasamado was most certainly a recognized style and belongs to "The International Union of Martial Arts". Please feel free to respond with any questions that I might be able to answer or at least point you in the right direction for an answer. Thank you, K.Klase

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Martial arts organizations Reply with quote

afitzwater wrote:
...what does it mean if you are not affiliated with an organizations? I see that many schools have separate fees just to be part of different ones and whatnot but don't know the real purpose for them.

Organizations provide support for the school in many ways. Business advice, setting standards and policing schools to keep those standards up, continuing training for instructors, to name a few. They also generally help with seminars and additional training for students. Some are better than others at this, and some are just in it for more money.

delta1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: It's ALL Kenpo! Bring it back to base!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K.Klase wrote:
...Torasamado was most certainly a recognized style and belongs to "The International Union of Martial Arts". Please feel free to respond with any questions that I might be able to answer or at least point you in the right direction for an answer. Thank you, K.Klase

Was the information correct that Torrasamado is Shotokan and Judo? Any other influences?

What is its' focus- self improvement, self defense, or other?

You said "was most certainly a recognized style ." Does this mean the system is closing with the passing of the founder? (Hopefully not, as it would be a shame to see someones hard work come to nothing.)

Are there any changes in the works for the style?

I too am sad to hear about the passing of your father. There are so many of the older martial artists, those who were here before it was popular, who have recently passed on. It's like watching an era end. But, as each one ends, a new one begins, and that is an exciting thing to watch!

Shane
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Combative Arts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my instructor never belonged to any organization, but his father who was his head instructor did oversee all of the belt promotions. And now I have my own school and I dont belong to any organization, but I plan on having my Instructor oversee higher rank promotions. So I can see how having an organization can be helpful in ways but in someways the politics I think would just be to much for me. I train with a very open mind, and so does my instructor and we are always adding to, but not taking away.

Ottman
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Jeet Kune Do (Concepts), Brazilian Ju Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira, Samurai combative arts (Nami Ryu Aiki Heiho)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TangSooGuy wrote:

Now, I'm not trying to flame anyone, nor am I trying to call anyone's credentials into question. I'm just pointing out why so many people here automatically raise an eyebrow when someone claims to be a tenth dan.

Many times, the founder of a certain style is automatically raised to tenth degree status. (or they raise themselves to that degree.) After-all, Klase did found his own style. Have you done that? I certainly haven't, and this is one of the many reasons I am not even close to a tenth degree bb.
If you're trying to test up to 10th degree in a style you didn't found, I'm sure the founder would require a lifetime of training to attain such a rank as it must have taken him/her a lifetime to develop it up to a recognised status that you would want to learn.
If you can create a style of martial art that is distinct enough to be recognised by other martial artists as its own style, then I think you deserve a tenth degree bb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: