Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
MAD Mike wrote:
It's difficult to say; my duties required it. I asked for Chinese, and received Godan. As a note, I find this too powerful for service, so depending upon my responsibilities I schedule per my profile accordingly.

Is what you're saying for being a LEO, and not pertaining to MA rank/regulations?? Perhaps bushido_man96 and/or tallgeese, who are LEO's, can help me understand better.

There are lots and lots of different organizations that teach law enforcement things like defensive tactics. Police Krav Maga through Krav Maga Worldwide and GRACIE through Gracie BJJ are two systems that I've trained in and received certifications in. SPEAR is another popular system. There are a plethora of others. How these organizations become accredited to teach law enforcement, I'm not sure. They probably have to apply to do so through the National Law Enforcement Training Center, but I'm not sure.

Each state has their training academies for the law enforcement agencies in their states (and some agencies are large enough that they have their own academies, which must teach the minimum that the state academy does). My experience was that there wasn't a particular system at our academy that was taught; it was a conglomeration of techniques and tactics put together by the head DT instructor of the academy. But this isn't necessarily the norm. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office, when I first certified in Police Krav Maga, used Police Krav Maga as the system taught in their academy. So, it varies from place to place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: