Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

benkendrick
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okuno-Ryu Karate, MDK Tang Soo Do, Sohng Ahm TKD, Nippon Shorinji Kempo, Seibukan Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zdoshi wrote:
Living the Martial Way- Forest Morgan

Great Book, fairly philosophical, but shows how to by philosophy into action

Zdoshi

I was gonna add this but you beat me to it....

Anyhow, I agree this is an excellent read.

Monkeymagic
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Seiki-Juku, Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wado_lee wrote:
Dan Millman way of the peacefull warrior which he followed up with the sacred journey of the peacefull warrior 2 very good books....
as anyone else read them it if so what did you think

Very good books. I have read both. i have a third of his, can't remember the name now. I think I will re-read them as they may give me some ideas for my dissertation.

''

wado_lee - if you don't mind, i have a question on the Karate forum asking 'Why do you use karate?' Could you post a reply. I think your answer would be interesting. If you could also tell me why you chose karate over other martial arts, that would be great.

Red Triangle student
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan and Arbour Freestyle

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an interesting website you all may be interested in: It is called www.shotokankata.com It is a good website for studying kata, the problem is you have to become a member. You also may need a high speed internet as their are a lot of videos on their.

I wish I followed that rule! ^^ I hate Losing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

Monkeymagic
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chan, S. (2000) ‘The Construction and export of Culture as Artefact: The case of Japanese Martial Arts,’ The Body & Society (Sage Publications), Vol. 6, No. 1, Pages 69-74

Krug, J. G. November (2001) ‘At the feet of the Master: Three Stages in the Appropriation of Okinawan Karate Into Anglo-American Culture,‘ Cultural Studies, Critical Methodologies (Sage Publications), Vol. 1, No. 4, Pages 395-410.

Mattson, G. E. (1963) ‘The Way of Karate’ Rutland, Vermont and Tokyo, Japan: Charles E Tuttle Company, Inc.

James, A. The Social World of Karate-Do

There are a few more. I'll add as I read them.

Sunrunner
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshin Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Richard Back

"train until the art becomes an artless art, flowing from the unconscious."

Sunrunner
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshin Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tao of Pooh, by Benjamin Hoff as well.

"train until the art becomes an artless art, flowing from the unconscious."

Ronin47
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: W.T.F Taekwondo and Wado-Ryu Karate

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Go Rin No Sho (5 Rings), Hagakure, and the Art of War but my favourite book is the Twenty Guding Principles of karate by Funakoshi. It's meanings can be applied to any martial art.

For specific information, Taekwondo: The State of the Art by Masters Sung Chul & Jun Chul Whang with Brandon Saltz is an excellent peice of writing giving a comprehensive history of Taekwondo, warm-up stretches, it's sparring techniques, patterns (up to pattern ), the whole nine yards!

I also liked a book called Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's wisdom for daily living. Just a bit of fun, and not really Martial arts philosphy, just one great man's views n various subjects ranging from training to life in general.

Monkeymagic
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draeger, D. F. & Smith, R. W. (1987) ‘Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts.’ Harper & Row

Tan, K. (2004) Constructing a martial tradition: Rethinking a popular history of karate-dou. Journal of Sport & Social Issues, Volume 28, No. 2, May 2004, pp. 169-192, Sage Publications.

Someone might have written the first one already

SoonerJohn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: s Reply with quote

Some non-martial arts books I've found useful:

Gulag Archipelago. A sad book that will delve deep into the negative side of human psychology. When I was in a slump, one passage from this book helped me improve dramatically. It had too do with an old lady and how she handled the interrogations.

Virginia's General: Robert E. Lee and the Civil War. A brief view into the mind of a great strategist.

Caro's Book of Poker Tells. A great book in understanding how to interpret peoples actions. The pictures he uses are outdated.

47MartialMan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Small Variety....."Spice of Life"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: MA library Reply with quote

MatTzu wrote:
No decent MA library exists without the numerous works of Confucius, Tao Te Ching, Art of War and The comprehensive guide to the asian fighting arts. China is where it all began and where a good library should begin. There is a taoist saying which I believe Bruce Lee quoted and it goes; To understand the root is to understand all it's blossoming.

Actually it did not ALL begin in China. India and Egypt is a are more ancient. And they had systematic fighting arts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 4 of 26
Jump to: