Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember watching that and thinking, "This looks a lot like The Running Man".

Sin Style
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitseach, u mean masters of combat.

i enjoyed it very much and want it to return, but ive read on another part of the forum and some people considered disrespectful to martial arts. anyway i thought it was cool.

The Tae kwon do bloke had some hostile kicks

Maybe the person who gets kicked off each week should have to do something, im not saying be killed like in running man although it would make everyone try alot harder :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: Sin Style on 2002-06-21 09:31 ]

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we wonder why the general populace has such odd opinions of the martial arts.

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL yes, Sin' Masters of Combat - I've been trying to remember the name all week-end!

I didn't think it was at all disrespectful to Martial Arts - it was never a really serious thesis, but a light-hearted combative programme that allowed me to see many other arts, including many I'd never heard of. I liked the fact that Gail Porter - the presenter - was herself a 2nd Dan BB! Who'd a thunk it?!

I really wonder about the sort of people who took it so seriously as to think it disrespectful to the Martial Arts (like the MAs are so precious they need protecting from popularity or something?!!)

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the world of wrestling carries a chilling warning for all serious martial artists.

Greco-Roman wrestling was the original western grappling art, a serious martial art practised by soldiers and athletes. Along the line this evolved into the WWF circus that most people associate with wrestling nowdays.

Imagine being a serious Greco-Roman wrestler today, having to explain to every Joe Blow you meet that your art has nothing to do with Hulk Hogan or the flying circus act that is the WWF, performed by paid actors for the entertainment of the viewers everywhere.

As much as I like greco-roman wrestling, this point alone is enough to put me off practising it seriously...

Now imagine in twenty years time, having to explain to everyone that the karate, or kickboxing, or Wing Chun that you practise(d) has nothing to with the antics of some clown in a rainbow gi he saw leaping about the ring on cable TV, clobbering his opponent with folding chairs and baseball bats while screaming the word "keeyaar!"

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the world of wrestling carries a chilling warning for all serious martial artists.

Greco-Roman wrestling was the original western grappling art, a serious martial art practised by soldiers and athletes. Along the line this evolved into the WWF circus that most people associate with wrestling nowdays.

Imagine being a serious Greco-Roman wrestler today, having to explain to every Joe Blow you meet that your art has nothing to do with Hulk Hogan or the flying circus act that is the WWF, performed by paid actors for the entertainment of the viewers everywhere.

As much as I like greco-roman wrestling, this point alone is enough to put me off practising it seriously...

Now imagine in twenty years time, having to explain to everyone that the karate, or kickboxing, or Wing Chun that you practise(d) has nothing to with the antics of some clown in a rainbow gi he saw leaping about the ring on cable TV, clobbering his opponent with folding chairs and baseball bats while screaming the word "keeyaar!"

Bitseach
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, isn't that pretty much what the MA film industry has been doing for decades???

Don Gwinn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's worse than that. At least Greco-Roman and freestyle survived. Heck, they're Olympic sports.

"Pro-Wrestling" as we know it today evolved slowly from a loose circuit of traveling "Catch As Catch Can" wrestlers. Now, Catch-as-Can was/is a serious combat form of wrestling, a little like the reputation Jiu Jitsu has today. But how many Catch-as-Can wrestlers do you know? Ain't many out there anymore. Kid wants to wrestle today, he wants to jump off ropes and hit people with chairs. If he goes out and joins a wrestling team and finds that "real" wrestling is fun, it'll likely be Greco-Roman.

Check http://www.mattfurey.com if you want to see a little bit about Catch-as-Can. Furey was able to study under Karl Gotch, who was one of the last greats in that sport.

http://www.thefiringline.com

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be cool to see a reality based martial arts show. I dont really like all the reality base crap they have on now though. I would just like for the sports networks to cover more issues dealing with martial arts. Such as espn and fox sports, Cnnsi. I get BlackBelt magazine and Fightsport and that is the only way I can keep up with the current events in Martial Arts. And that is even after the fact and only covers big areas of the martial arts. So that show may help the martial arts get exposure if it works out.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: