Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Martial Arts video library Reply with quote

In a similar vein to the Martial arts research library I thought it would be fun to have a topic on what you consider essential viewing for the Martial Artist. Movies, documentaries or tv shows.

What should everyone watch?

I just finished watching "The Real Miyagi" about Fumio Demura and how he came to America. Really interesting, not only just about Demura sensei but about Martial Arts in the 60s and 70s in America. Lots of interviews from other martial artist and movie stars.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see some MA documentaries chronicling prominent figures' lives. The Demura one (The Real Mr. Miyagi) was quite good, but I think it dragged a bit towards the end.

MA movies are usually too over the top for me.

MA movies I own and love are Fighting Black Kings (although it is essential a Kyokushin propaganda film/documentary) and The Last Samurai. I'm not a Tom Cruise fan, but that ones a great film IMO.

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story is another favorite.

I've been contemplating Fighter in the Wind.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fighter in the wind was just OK for me. Like JR most are too over the top for me, probably why I enjoyed Kuro Obi so much it was a lot more low key.
Really enjoy Wuxia films tho. Hero and Fearless, both with Jet Li, would be essential viewing for anyone who enjoys MA movies, cinematography in Hero is stunning, story in Fearless based on an IP man type guy who lived turn of 19th century. Huo Yuanjia was the real life guy.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer MA documentaries over movies and tv shows...

Documentaries

then...

Movies

then...

TV shows!!

Fact or fiction?? Which one?? It depends on the mood of the day I'm in as to which one I'll prefer!! I, too saw the documentary on Fumio Demura, entitled, "The Real Miyagi". MA movies, well, I don't watch MA movies for the entertainment factor. No! I analysis it to death; I'll have already decided that the entertainment factor will not be my priority. TV movies, well, gaudy and the bane of the MA existence, with actors and actresses have the MA skills of a rank beginner, being portrayed to be a Master. That's akin to Robin, from the Batman TV show against Kato, from the Green Hornet TV show.

Nope, just give me a good documentary, anytime!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:
Fighter in the wind was just OK for me. Like JR most are too over the top for me, probably why I enjoyed Kuro Obi so much it was a lot more low key.
Really enjoy Wuxia films tho. Hero and Fearless, both with Jet Li, would be essential viewing for anyone who enjoys MA movies, cinematography in Hero is stunning, story in Fearless based on an IP man type guy who lived turn of 19th century. Huo Yuanjia was the real life guy.

I've always liked Wuxia films, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was the first one I watched followed by Hero. Wasn't bowled over by the Crouching Tiger sequel Netflix released, I found it a bit flat.

To add to the two Jet Li films you mentioned, I would also say House of Flying Daggers should be watched too.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
TV movies, well, gaudy and the bane of the MA existence, with actors and actresses have the MA skills of a rank beginner, being portrayed to be a Master. That's akin to Robin, from the Batman TV show against Kato, from the Green Hornet TV show.

Not all TV shows are bad surely?

As a kid I used to love watching Sammo Hung in Martial Law. Sure some of it was goofy Jackie Chan-esque stuff (Hung and Chan trained at the same Opera school) but a lot of the fighting was entertaining and he did all his own stunts.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Walker, Texas Ranger either

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a difficult time watching movies, like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" because, imho, it doesn't accurately portray the MA. I get the point that it's a fantasy, however, I still can't watch MA movies like that.

"Enter The Dragon", is, imho, the model of how a MA should be made. However, there's a scene in that movie that has Bruce leaping up into a tree to avoid detection by Han's roving guards. When Bruce leaped into that tree, I hated it because there was nothing MA about that at all; theatrics. Theatrics, that took away from the movie, and didn't add anything at all, imho.

"The Real Miyagi" and documentaries like that, are my most preferred thing to watch. Documentaries don't depend on theatrics, just facts, and facts are history, and history surrounds the MA.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
TV movies, well, gaudy and the bane of the MA existence, with actors and actresses have the MA skills of a rank beginner, being portrayed to be a Master. That's akin to Robin, from the Batman TV show against Kato, from the Green Hornet TV show.

Not all TV shows are bad surely?

As a kid I used to love watching Sammo Hung in Martial Law. Sure some of it was goofy Jackie Chan-esque stuff (Hung and Chan trained at the same Opera school) but a lot of the fighting was entertaining and he did all his own stunts.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Walker, Texas Ranger either

Agreed. Martial Law was fun to watch, and early Walker was always good. Got cheesy as it went on.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:

I've always liked Wuxia films, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was the first one I watched followed by Hero. Wasn't bowled over by the Crouching Tiger sequel Netflix released, I found it a bit flat.

To add to the two Jet Li films you mentioned, I would also say House of Flying Daggers should be watched too.

I enjoyed House of flying daggers also, more a romance tho. I couldn't finish the crouching dragon sequel, it was so "made for TV" bad.
Fearless probably my all time favourite.
Also saw a good Korean film "Memories of the sword" borrowed heavily from Chinese themes, but still good movie.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I've a difficult time watching movies, like "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" because, imho, it doesn't accurately portray the MA. I get the point that it's a fantasy, however, I still can't watch MA movies like that.

"Enter The Dragon", is, imho, the model of how a MA should be made. However, there's a scene in that movie that has Bruce leaping up into a tree to avoid detection by Han's roving guards. When Bruce leaped into that tree, I hated it because there was nothing MA about that at all; theatrics. Theatrics, that took away from the movie, and didn't add anything at all, imho.

"The Real Miyagi" and documentaries like that, are my most preferred thing to watch. Documentaries don't depend on theatrics, just facts, and facts are history, and history surrounds the MA.

I also enjoyed "The Real Miyagi". When I was younger I fell into the same thinking with movies like "Crouching Tiger" I then had a mild epiphany. I say mild because I am not sure I am capable of a major epiphany. I tried watching the same style movie through the lens of it is similar to me with my western background watching a super hero movie. I learned to appreciate it more, but still prefer a more grounded atmosphere. Having not had much exposure in eastern cultures I have no rational knowledge base to call this a true analogy, but in my mind it works.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: