Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

y2_sub
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Officially switched to boxing , formally kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It defiantly shows your posting abilities ,lol

kivikala
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee too bad the arts aren't outlawed! We'd get rid of the McDojos.

y2_sub
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Officially switched to boxing , formally kyokushin karate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hek , that's the best idea to get rid of McDojo's , this way McInstructors will disappear and real sensei will continue to instruct no matter what

MizuRyu
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Present: Judo/Boxing, Past: Ryu-Te, Tang Soo Do, Wing Chun, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any 'outlawed' martial arts... but if there were anywhere it's safe to assume it's because they can be used as tools of murder, and some countries would rather not have that openly taught to anyone who can pay 40 bucks a month.

"I burn alive to keep you warm"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2_sub wrote:
Someone told me once that a black belt is considered equal to a weapon by law , and if you beat someone up and the police knew that you have a black belt , they consider it equal to beating him with a stick or a baseball bat
I doubt it though

I think the problem lies more in the eyes of a jury who thinks those crazy martial arts people have mystical powers and should be able to subdue anyone with their pinkey. After all, that's how it works in the movies. I think it really comes down to a matter of using only sufficient force to ensure your safety.

Sohan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Karate-Do, Muay Thai, Shudokan Karate-Do, Boxing, BJJ, Hung Gar Gung Fu

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordtariel wrote:
y2_sub wrote:
Someone told me once that a black belt is considered equal to a weapon by law , and if you beat someone up and the police knew that you have a black belt , they consider it equal to beating him with a stick or a baseball bat
I doubt it though

I think the problem lies more in the eyes of a jury who thinks those crazy martial arts people have mystical powers and should be able to subdue anyone with their pinkey. After all, that's how it works in the movies. I think it really comes down to a matter of using only sufficient force to ensure your safety.

In Georgia we now have the right to use "deadly force" against someone out in public if we believe our lives or property are in danger. Martial artists can be held to a higher standard if their skills are brought up in court, but the onus is really on the state to make the case that the force was unjustified.

I'm no lawyer but this is how I understand it.

Respectfully,

Sohan

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

marie curie
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan Karate, Kajukenbo, Kodokan Judo, Gracie Barra Jiu-Jitsu, Olympic Tae Kwon Doe

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sohan wrote:
lordtariel wrote:
y2_sub wrote:
I doubt it though

In Georgia we now have the right to use "deadly force" against someone out in public if we believe our lives or property are in danger. Martial artists can be held to a higher standard if their skills are brought up in court, but the onus is really on the state to make the case that the force was unjustified.

I'm no lawyer but this is how I understand it.

Respectfully,

Sohan

Ok, I'm pretty sure that I've posted this two or three times before.... but repeat threads most certainly happen.

There is no "per se" law reguarding martial artists or black belts, such as, "If you are a black belt, then you can not XXXX."

There is a concideration of "reasonable response". If the court knows that you are a martial artist, and you went nuts on some guy, then they are probably going to say that you had the reasonable ability to stop the danger to you, before going that distance - turning the original aggressor into the victim, and you into the aggressor.

Also, lawyers can paint a picture to a jury of you being a crazy ninja going around killing people for fun or whatever, if you don't have good charater witnesses and "good standing" in the community.

Note for fun and knowledge- Never take someone's weapon away from them, and beat them with it- this also switches the aggressor/victim rules, and you will be in trouble.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
-Lao Tzu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Tef
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo, Wu-Tang Sword, Muay Thai, Kechwa MA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about other states, but in California, there's an excessive force law. It's sorta like what you might learn in Dojo: you end the fight to the exact point that your agressor is no longer able to fight and then you run away. The only time the Jury can penalize anyone Martial artist or not is when they continue to beat up their aggressor after the point of fight-ending. If a person does that, then the roles are switched in the eyes of most juries. Although, i will admit that some jury members might ask the question: "if you're a MA, couldn't you have just done (enter a really ignorant stereotype of MA here)?"

parkerlineage
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: American Kenpo - 12 years; Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu - Starting! (Dabbled in Wushu, Eagle Claw)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lordtariel wrote:
I think the problem lies more in the eyes of a jury who thinks those crazy martial arts people have mystical powers and should be able to subdue anyone with their pinkey.

You can't do that, yet?

Quote:
It's sorta like what you might learn in Dojo: you end the fight to the exact point that your agressor is no longer able to fight and then you run away. The only time the Jury can penalize anyone Martial artist or not is when they continue to beat up their aggressor after the point of fight-ending.

I'd heard that.

"Skeet"
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tang soo Do, Kenpo-Karate Jutsu, Allison Tai Jutsu, American Kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually caporiera was outlawed in the U.S in the mid 1970s.....cant remember why but i know thats where break dancing comes from .....but now I dont think any type of M.A is out lawed now...
My hands will bear me out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: