Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shizentai
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear contacts for karate now, but when I was a kid I'd have to take my glasses off whenever we were doing partner work. I remember that being a huge pain! If in the middle of the partner drill Sensei wanted to explain something I couldn't see him unless I put them back on. Once he was explaining something for a while, so I went and put them back on, but as soon as I got back to my spot he said "ICHI!" and my partner punched me in the face. Even though she just barely got me, I had a black eye for a week because the nose pad broke a blood vessel in my lower eyelid!

If you can't see well enough without them, and if you can't wear contacts, I highly recommend prescription sports goggles (as others have), because those at least are designed to protect your eyes from impact.

nyramat911
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shito Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Safroot,

I realise that this post is a little old now, but hopefully this will help... I've lived in the US where recspecs were the norm, but now that I live in Australia sports glasses are a bit harder to come by. In my dojo there's a "no glasses" rule for any partner work, and this extends to kids and adults. Consequently most adults just bite the bullet and overcome the "poking myself in the eye" concern and wear contacts, even if it's just for karate class. There is one guy at my dojo who wears sports goggles, but I've never asked him where he got them from.

This being said, however, if you speak to your optometrist you should be able to get a recommendation for sports goggles (OPSM has some options http://www.opsm.com.au/rx-sport-glasses but are notoriously expensive) or at the very least a valid prescription which you can use online. I'd imagine that something like this

http://www.sports-eyewear.com.au/product.php/68/sports-goggles-prescription-rx-progear

or this

https://goggleman.com.au/collections/ball-sports-eyewear

would be acceptable to use during martial arts training (but may be banned during competition, depending on the tournament rules).

Please let us know what you decide to do- I'd be interested in your review if you do decide to go for sports glasses.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nyramat911 wrote:
Hi Safroot,

I realise that this post is a little old now, but hopefully this will help... I've lived in the US where recspecs were the norm, but now that I live in Australia sports glasses are a bit harder to come by. In my dojo there's a "no glasses" rule for any partner work, and this extends to kids and adults. Consequently most adults just bite the bullet and overcome the "poking myself in the eye" concern and wear contacts, even if it's just for karate class. There is one guy at my dojo who wears sports goggles, but I've never asked him where he got them from.

This being said, however, if you speak to your optometrist you should be able to get a recommendation for sports goggles (OPSM has some options http://www.opsm.com.au/rx-sport-glasses but are notoriously expensive) or at the very least a valid prescription which you can use online. I'd imagine that something like this

http://www.sports-eyewear.com.au/product.php/68/sports-goggles-prescription-rx-progear

or this

https://goggleman.com.au/collections/ball-sports-eyewear

would be acceptable to use during martial arts training (but may be banned during competition, depending on the tournament rules).

Please let us know what you decide to do- I'd be interested in your review if you do decide to go for sports glasses.

Thanks nyramat911 for your recommendations, maybe the post was old but I have just restarted my training 2 weeks ago.
For sure I will look into it & if I decided to go for sports glasses I will let you know

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am blind as a bat without my glasses and invested in a pair of sports goggles that I wore. I got a second strap for them and even wore them in the pool when I was working with my deep water jogging vest.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaiFightsMS wrote:
I am blind as a bat without my glasses and invested in a pair of sports goggles that I wore. I got a second strap for them and even wore them in the pool when I was working with my deep water jogging vest.

I agree, sports goggles are the best option but way too expensive 😡

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vision is pretty bad: about -3 in each eye (moderate myopia) and a cylinder of about 2 in each eye (borderline-severe astigmatism.) Needless to say, I can't see anything without my glasses. I think they'd run about $150 or so. I use prescription sports goggles. They're not crazy expensive, and since we hit each other in the face, I've had to pop lenses back in a few times. But... I don't get cut (frames are plastic with rubber padding) and if they break, I won't have to worry about driving home!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: