Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Mas Oyama & the ITF Reply with quote

Near the back of Gen. Choi's Taekwon-Do (page 753 of the 2004 edition) there is a picture of the Gen. shaking someone's hand and the writing by the side refers to a "Master Oyama". It does kinda look like Mas Oyama so I did a google search and there are quite a few bits and pieces of Mas Oyama and the Gen / ITF.

http://www.lacancha.com/oyama.html
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nfUxh3gt1w4

I've not really known of his connection to TKD before and can't really find much on the web. Anybody know any more about this and what, if any, influence he had on ITF and what influence he took back to Kyokushin?

Wa-No-Michi
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: JKF Wado-Kai

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mas Oyama & the ITF Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Near the back of Gen. Choi's Taekwon-Do (page 753 of the 2004 edition) there is a picture of the Gen. shaking someone's hand and the writing by the side refers to a "Master Oyama". It does kinda look like Mas Oyama so I did a google search and there are quite a few bits and pieces of Mas Oyama and the Gen / ITF.

I've not really known of his connection to TKD before and can't really find much on the web. Anybody know any more about this and what, if any, influence he had on ITF and what influence he took back to Kyokushin?

Well he was Korean by birth, apart from that I haven't got a scooby.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wa-No-Michi pretty much sums it up. Oyama was Korean by birth, and perhaps Choi met him when he trained in Shotokan. I doubt it, though. They did have quite a bit of correspondence, though.

What I truly think is that once Choi had established himself, he wanted to recruit Oyama to his style and way of thinking. Oyama was a legend, as were his physical feats. He would have been a great person to help Choi market and spread his Korean art.

rmclain
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher, Grandmaster Kim Soo, took those photos and I've been helping with some of the captions at the TKD HOF website (linked in this thread).

As far as I know, they had no connection beyond Mas Oyama's visit to the Korean Taesoodo office.

R. McLain

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmclain wrote:
My teacher, Grandmaster Kim Soo, took those photos and I've been helping with some of the captions at the TKD HOF website (linked in this thread).

As far as I know, they had no connection beyond Mas Oyama's visit to the Korean Taesoodo office.

R. McLain

O cool, but what about the picture in the book (if you have access to it). Its of Oyama and Choi alone together. In the book it also mentions that Choi invited Oyama to visit him.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think visit is all that took place. Oyama had his Kyokushin thing going, and I don't think he was going to abandon it.

rmclain
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
rmclain wrote:

R. McLain

O cool, but what about the picture in the book (if you have access to it). Its of Oyama and Choi alone together. In the book it also mentions that Choi invited Oyama to visit him.

I'll check the book. Seems I have a copy of this later ITF book by Choi.
Do you know which page the photo is on?

R. McLain

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I think visit is all that took place. Oyama had his Kyokushin thing going, and I don't think he was going to abandon it.

I know Oyama wouldn't convert his style into another TKD, however I was just wondering whether he had any influence so far as showing Choi some techiniques/practices and then became part of ITF. If you look at the video I posted earlier there are bits and pieces like Oyama getting the students to fight in more of a cat stance than front stance.

rmclain wrote:
I'll check the book. Seems I have a copy of this later ITF book by Choi.
Do you know which page the photo is on?

R. McLain

Top of page 753 in the 2004 edition.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. That's a good question. I know that there are some that like to fight from a back stance. Perhaps that is where the influence came from.

benkendrick
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Okuno-Ryu Karate, MDK Tang Soo Do, Sohng Ahm TKD, Nippon Shorinji Kempo, Seibukan Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Mas Oyama & the ITF Reply with quote

DWx wrote:

As has been mentioned previosly, It's my understanding that Gen Choi did try to recruit Oyama Sensei into joining the TKD movemement. However for what ever reason Oyama declined.

I know I've read about this elesewhere, I'll see if I can dig up some credible sources.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: