Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I watched, for as long as I could, one of his YouTube videos where he was demonstrating how to cover against head punches, but all the while I'm watching, he went on and on about how to cover and protect your head, my first thought was...one good uppercut to the chin/body, and it's all over.

This is where, imho, resisting training comes in towards one learning effective MA techniques. Theory is fine for somethings, but not for the MA...imho!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Yeah, I watched, for as long as I could, one of his YouTube videos where he was demonstrating how to cover against head punches, but all the while I'm watching, he went on and on about how to cover and protect your head, my first thought was...one good uppercut to the chin/body, and it's all over.

This is where, imho, resisting training comes in towards one learning effective MA techniques. Theory is fine for somethings, but not for the MA...imho!!

I must agree with your comments about resistance training.

I have seen Master Wong demonstrating in seminars with the participants trying to do what he does.

Years of training on his part and the few minutes learning a technique from willing combatants resisting each other hardily is a winning system but it does make people question what they are doing wrong or what they have learned isn't totally right.

What Master Wong is trying to do is share very basic fighting principles to the average person in his video format and not generally targeted towards other martial artists.

He is allowing the average person to learn his basic self defense techniques without the formalities that are usually associated with martial arts.

As there are many pros and cons in martial arts at least he tries to explain any and all questions asked of him.

It is easy to find fault in another person's training methods if that is what you are looking for, yes a person would leave themselves vulnerable to an uppercut by covering up as he shows yet to have no defense whatsoever might be alot worse.

What Master Wong teaches, is called layer training and to cover up one's head protecting it first, the second move depends on the situation to use the elbows as weapons or another course of action.

It is apparent in Master Wong's videos about protecting oneself first and taking the situation further from there as in closing the gap or controlling limbs ...

There is no Ip Man fighting gentleman stereotype with Master Wong's attributes but I do believe so far that he is good man with good intentions with excellent fighting skills and willing to share with tireless enthusiasm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: