Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and I agree with one another here, I didn't think that you were lauding Dillman in any way.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
You and I agree with one another here, I didn't think that you were lauding Dillman in any way.

No touch knockout .....

( But only after he ate beans .)

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, since George [Dillman] was already referenced...I'll tell a quick funny story.

Back around 1995 or so, George was doing a pressure point seminar in Houston (I was living just outside of Houston at the time). Since my then instructors instructor had trained with George for a bit back in the day, my instructor and I went to be polite.

During the training, George demonstrated the "kung fu salute". You know the one...right hand is a fist and the left hand is like a knife hand and they are held together out in front of you. George asked the people there if they knew why this was in kung fu. Different folks gave a few responses and he answered no to all of them. He went on to say that the reason why was because it made a connection was made via a pressure point on the right hand in between the pinky and ring finger knuckles and the same mirror point on the palm side of the left hand. He said that this created a circuit of qi through the arms via the hands and in doing so, you could not pull the hands apart. He then had everyone pair up and try it, going around the room checking things.

My instructor and I then started going around the room as well, about 3 or 4 pairs of people. So, when trying to pull the hands apart, they were told to pull going in a horizontal way...if that makes sense. We were walking up and immediately pulling the hands apart by pulling one hand towards us and pushing the other towards their own chest. Then explaining that trying to pull them apart the way George was showing was fighting against the lats of the other person. A very strong muscle group. Doing the push/pull method that worked for us isolated biceps (and triceps). Everyone just kinda looked at us like we were crazy and didn't know what to think...LOL.

At one point I had a copy of Soken's "secret" pressure point notes. There wasn't much too them and was no different that what you would see written in all sorts of books at the time. If I can find them, I will post them up for folks to take a look at.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall several years ago a Dillman story that a news station did on him. They started with him in his school, demonstrating things on his students, and then he went to a BJJ school and tried demonstrating everything. None of it worked on the BJJ students.

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some insight into 'those mystical guys' .

A few people from my Aikido club went to watch this comp / demo . Some guy there claimed he had 'ability' - you would not be able to hit him with a sword .

He invited a few volunteers to come forward and take up the boken and attempt to strike him while he sat there meditating cross legged on the floor , without moving .

One took the sword up , stood there looking at him then returned the sword to the rack and walked back and sat down . The second walked forward, raised the sword was about to strike him, but lowered the sword and then did the same as the first . The next did as the guy before him did but slowed down, stopped above his head , then continued slowly and 'bonk' .

Later, my clubmates approached the first guy and asked him what happened , he said " I thought, I am not doing this , its silly . " The second said " I was going to smash him over the head , but I thought, what's the point of that , seems like senseless violence . The third said 'Well, I DID hot him with the sword , but I wasnt going to smash his skull while he just sat there ... that would be crazy .'

They asked 'The Master' about the 3rd guy that bonked him on the head , Master's response was " <shrug> well ..... it doesnt work with everybody ."

Its certainly a risky 'technique' .

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as we all know assailants as notoriously kind when confronting you in the street. There's always going to be that one guy who takes it too far, but what are they going to do, ACTUALLY hurt you?!

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
Well as we all know assailants as notoriously kind when confronting you in the street. There's always going to be that one guy who takes it too far, but what are they going to do, ACTUALLY hurt you?!

Of course !

But this guy was not on the street . .. he was at a demo full of nice non violent Aikido people

It can go the other way too .... a few times I have done some knife defense stuff in class .... that was actually based on some ' street reality ' rather than hypothetical typical dojo practice knife defense stuff - some people where aghast and judgmental about it , even vocalizing such - too violent . Hopefully others learned something that might save their lives one day if they are unfortunate enough to confront it n the street other than just in the dojo .

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miick 11 wrote:
It can go the other way too .... a few times I have done some knife defense stuff in class .... that was actually based on some ' street reality ' rather than hypothetical typical dojo practice knife defense stuff - some people where aghast and judgmental about it , even vocalizing such - too violent . Hopefully others learned something that might save their lives one day if they are unfortunate enough to confront it n the street other than just in the dojo .

I've seen this, too. Several years ago I learned some weapons defense in some Krav Maga courses, and they are quite violent in their response. I believe they have to be, especially when you are talking about taking a weapon away from someone. When it comes down to it, it won't be pretty. I also see this kind of reaction quite often when people like to Monday-morning quarterback police use-of-force incidents. It's quite frustrating.

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Matsumura Sieto Shorin Ryu. Reply with quote

Miick 11 wrote:
Greetings all , Im new here - first post .

Do we have any practitioners of MSSR here ?

It is a tradition stemming from Bushi Matsamura > Nabe Matsamura > Hohan Sokken ....

Ted Lange
.... > > both students of Hohan Sokken
Kosei Nishihira

( after Hohan Soken passed on Ted accepted Mr. Nishihira as the 'head' , as well as some others )

Ted, who sadly recently passed on, bought the tradition to Australia .

[ My background started with Shotokan , being one of the first students in Australia of Frank Nowak > Sikiran > a bit of Silat in Perth > Aikikai Aikido > and the last 10 + years MSSR }

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosei_Nishihira

I studied Matsumura Seito as taught by Sensei Kuda Yuichi for about 20 years, then Sensei Kuda made some minor changes to differentiate what we were doing from some others that were really bastardizing OSensei's Seito.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I studied Matsumura Seito as taught by Sensei Kuda Yuichi for about 20 years, then Sensei Kuda made some minor changes to differentiate what we were doing from some others that were really bastardizing OSensei's Seito.

I don't mean to start a flame war, but to which groups do you refer when you say they have bastardized the style?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: