Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJ-Jitsu wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you TJ-Jitsu but for boxing experience, my father was a boxer (Pro) didn't find that out until I did something wrong, as other kids were spanked on the backside, my dad was throwing hooks and jabs at me.

I have had experiences with golden glove fighters in my past, as they had always fought against other boxers, having a "friendly" with me was an eye opener for them; according to boxing rules.

As I said I wasn't being condescending, so I'm not "banking" on you not having any experience, but the opinions and rationale youre giving do not reflect having much experience. I'll try to elaborate on that later with examples.

In regards to opening the eyes of "golden glove" boxers I have two responses to that:
One is that if you're operating outside the realm of boxing I can only say sure- they only operate within the world of boxing so that's only natural.

Two is that "Golden Gloves" gets tossed around SO much these days that people often have no idea what it is. Golden Gloves is for Amateurs and I mean that in the literal sense. Anyone talking about golden gloves at the professional level is the equivalent of a college football player bragging about his high school accomplishments.

Alan Armstrong wrote:

I understand that McGregor and Mayweather are fighting under boxing rules, it is however possible to have a fight (Duke it out) under these conditions.

Statements like this are what I'm referring to when saying you're assumptions sound as if they're from someone who hasn't much experience.

"Duking it out" IS boxing. Having a "slugfest" IS boxing. Many people assume that "boxing" means you're attempting to "touch" your opponent and you're "not trying to hurt" your opponent. That is to suggest that if you come in with "Look out OMG I'm Crazy!" haymakers that its going to somehow be a different fight. There are very specific reasons why boxers don't just throw everything into a punch right from the get go:

-Its WAY too slow. To throw only your most powerful punches with the utmost amount of power is simply way too slow against any competent boxer. Big power punches are much more telegraphed that your classic speedy punches such as jabs and crosses.

-Because its too slow, a skilled boxer can quickly counter these attempts at overwhelming them. What this means is that you're eating a 3 piece from your opponents before your one big shot has even had an opportunity to land.

-Putting too much into a punch will off balance you and tire you out too fast. This is often seen with novice level boxers (who may be experienced fighters even) where they put too much behind their punches to the point they off balance themselves. Even if they hit, they have no (good) follow up punches and now have to regain their balance before they can begin to mount any credible attack. God forbid they miss with that big shot, they're now wide open for very powerful counterattacks. That's part of what learning how to box is.

-A (good) professional boxer can break your nose or your orbital with a jab. There is a tremendous amount of power that can be behind a good jab. Most people have no idea just how powerful these punches are because the other guy doesn't appear to be hurt by them. The other guy in these circumstances though is also of reputable skill so theyre often defending or rolling with the punches accordingly. When you have such a discrepancy in skill (as we do here) you'll start to see just how good they really are.

Alan Armstrong wrote:

I have grown up with both of these types of competitors and as boxing is being threatened by MMA, Mayweather has been given the task to defend the honor of the boxing world.

Champion boxers make a huge amount of money compared to MMA fighters.

If McGregor wins against Mayweather. then a huge amount of support and interest will switch from boxing to MMA.

This switch is inevitable perhaps not today or tomorrow but most certainly in the future.

Like it or not, the future belongs to MMA.

The future belongs to the McGregors of this fighting world.

Agreed on most parts, except the end. McGregor has done enough to show hes world class, but not enough to give the reputation he and Dana have apparently given him. He has yet to defend either of his titles, although he gave up the 145 belt. But lets not get derailed with red herrings in this conversation....

I'm still waiting to hear how hes got any chance whatsoever. You haven't given me any credible strategies or techniques that could suggest how. I'm trying to explain to you how theres nothing inside a ring that McGregor can do that Mayweather hasn't seen 100x already from fighters significantly better, faster, stronger, and more precise with their hands than McGregor.

The only one you've given me is that hes going to "Duke it out" with Mayweather as if several of his past 49 opponents haven't attempted the same thing, and ALSO as if "duking it out" isn't boxing.

Consider:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYQwXDyi-5k
Thank you TJ-Jitsu for the boxing lesson, you are clearly very knowledgeable and well informed in your opinions on this subject.

My opinions here are of course on a rudimentary level, from my own personal experiences and not based on second hand knowledge or Wikipedia statistics.

There is however a "man against man" event to take place, which is where I'm listening to my intuitions and not buying in to the pre fight hype like most people like to draw there opinions from.

Regarding condescending and assumptions, being underestimated has its benefits; something Conor McGregor is notorious for being underestimated.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
TJ-Jitsu wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you TJ-Jitsu but for boxing experience, my father was a boxer (Pro) didn't find that out until I did something wrong, as other kids were spanked on the backside, my dad was throwing hooks and jabs at me.

I have had experiences with golden glove fighters in my past, as they had always fought against other boxers, having a "friendly" with me was an eye opener for them; according to boxing rules.

As I said I wasn't being condescending, so I'm not "banking" on you not having any experience, but the opinions and rationale youre giving do not reflect having much experience. I'll try to elaborate on that later with examples.

In regards to opening the eyes of "golden glove" boxers I have two responses to that:
One is that if you're operating outside the realm of boxing I can only say sure- they only operate within the world of boxing so that's only natural.

Two is that "Golden Gloves" gets tossed around SO much these days that people often have no idea what it is. Golden Gloves is for Amateurs and I mean that in the literal sense. Anyone talking about golden gloves at the professional level is the equivalent of a college football player bragging about his high school accomplishments.

Alan Armstrong wrote:

I understand that McGregor and Mayweather are fighting under boxing rules, it is however possible to have a fight (Duke it out) under these conditions.

Statements like this are what I'm referring to when saying you're assumptions sound as if they're from someone who hasn't much experience.

"Duking it out" IS boxing. Having a "slugfest" IS boxing. Many people assume that "boxing" means you're attempting to "touch" your opponent and you're "not trying to hurt" your opponent. That is to suggest that if you come in with "Look out OMG I'm Crazy!" haymakers that its going to somehow be a different fight. There are very specific reasons why boxers don't just throw everything into a punch right from the get go:

-Its WAY too slow. To throw only your most powerful punches with the utmost amount of power is simply way too slow against any competent boxer. Big power punches are much more telegraphed that your classic speedy punches such as jabs and crosses.

-Because its too slow, a skilled boxer can quickly counter these attempts at overwhelming them. What this means is that you're eating a 3 piece from your opponents before your one big shot has even had an opportunity to land.

-Putting too much into a punch will off balance you and tire you out too fast. This is often seen with novice level boxers (who may be experienced fighters even) where they put too much behind their punches to the point they off balance themselves. Even if they hit, they have no (good) follow up punches and now have to regain their balance before they can begin to mount any credible attack. God forbid they miss with that big shot, they're now wide open for very powerful counterattacks. That's part of what learning how to box is.

-A (good) professional boxer can break your nose or your orbital with a jab. There is a tremendous amount of power that can be behind a good jab. Most people have no idea just how powerful these punches are because the other guy doesn't appear to be hurt by them. The other guy in these circumstances though is also of reputable skill so theyre often defending or rolling with the punches accordingly. When you have such a discrepancy in skill (as we do here) you'll start to see just how good they really are.

Alan Armstrong wrote:

I have grown up with both of these types of competitors and as boxing is being threatened by MMA, Mayweather has been given the task to defend the honor of the boxing world.

Champion boxers make a huge amount of money compared to MMA fighters.

If McGregor wins against Mayweather. then a huge amount of support and interest will switch from boxing to MMA.

This switch is inevitable perhaps not today or tomorrow but most certainly in the future.

Like it or not, the future belongs to MMA.

The future belongs to the McGregors of this fighting world.

Agreed on most parts, except the end. McGregor has done enough to show hes world class, but not enough to give the reputation he and Dana have apparently given him. He has yet to defend either of his titles, although he gave up the 145 belt. But lets not get derailed with red herrings in this conversation....

I'm still waiting to hear how hes got any chance whatsoever. You haven't given me any credible strategies or techniques that could suggest how. I'm trying to explain to you how theres nothing inside a ring that McGregor can do that Mayweather hasn't seen 100x already from fighters significantly better, faster, stronger, and more precise with their hands than McGregor.

The only one you've given me is that hes going to "Duke it out" with Mayweather as if several of his past 49 opponents haven't attempted the same thing, and ALSO as if "duking it out" isn't boxing.

Consider:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYQwXDyi-5k
Thank you TJ-Jitsu for the boxing lesson, you are clearly very knowledgeable and well informed in your opinions on this subject.

My opinions here are of course on a rudimentary level, from my own personal experiences and not based on second hand knowledge or Wikipedia statistics.

There is however a "man against man" event to take place, which is where I'm listening to my intuitions and not buying in to the pre fight hype like most people like to draw there opinions from.

Regarding condescending and assumptions, being underestimated has its benefits; something Conor McGregor is notorious for being underestimated

Indeed- on that I'll agree

pinklady6000
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: wrestling, shinkicking, jkd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgregor is going to win and his secret weapon is old english boxing. mayweather will be confused by this system and lose.
mcgregor is training in the style of jim driscol.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warning contains trash talk

Stare Down Analysis ● Conor McGregor Vs Floyd Mayweather

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CydjdpZQ530

Conor McGregor Loses Control And Insults UNCENSORED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqsVRomRsK0

MCGREGOR VS MAYWEATHER IS A BIG LYING GAME, Business, Money, But Not BOXING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i0Y0cP9Nvo

pinklady6000
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: wrestling, shinkicking, jkd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
warning contains trash talk

Stare Down Analysis ● Conor McGregor Vs Floyd Mayweather

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CydjdpZQ530

Conor McGregor Loses Control And Insults UNCENSORED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqsVRomRsK0

MCGREGOR VS MAYWEATHER IS A BIG LYING GAME, Business, Money, But Not BOXING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i0Y0cP9Nvo

trash talk is a way of winning a fight without fighting.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the link "consider" from TJ-Jitsu; had a chance to watch it.

It looks like a misinformation tactic from the McGregor camp.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some stats to consider:

Height:
5ft 8" vs 5ft 9"

Reach:
72" vs 74"

Fights:
49 vs 21

Total Rounds:
387 vs 37

Win-Loss-Draw:
49-0-0 vs 21-3-0

K.O.s:
29 (53%) vs 18 (75%)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/40285344

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A person is more than their statistics, just look at Dolly Parton and how well she sings.

Statistics is a tool to make believe a point, in one way or the other.

Mayweather has been sucked in to a fight by McGregor.

McGregor to fight with all the odds against him, under boxing rules, in USA and sponsored by Mayweather; by now Floyd must realize that Conor isn't a boxer but a lunatic, with a funny accent, that isn't intimidated by fame, money or past reputation.

McGregor is young and hungry, whereas Mayweather is past his prime and dines out lavishly.

McGregor has everything to gain with this fight and Mayweather has everything to loose that cannot be payed for with money.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fight is this Saturday!

Your predictions for the fight?

I'm going with a Mayweather win via judges decision.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

McGregor has everything to gain with this fight and Mayweather has everything to loose that cannot be payed for with money.

I respectfully beg to differ, I believe that it is all about the MONEY and if you peel it back to it's core, it's about the $$$ for BOTH of them.

Mayweather has already made his rep and history cannot be changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: