Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all of the drilling that one can possibly do over and over for many years, I say, spar, spar, spar, spar, spar.....................and on and on and on and on.............

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of great info in this thread. I will look into this "box drill."

Alex, thanks for the insight here.

ShoriKid
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Matsubyashi-Ryu, Okinawan Kempo, wrestling, bits of BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

For us that would turn into the spare GI jacket drill. If we loved you it would even be clean. Relatively.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoriKid wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

For us that would turn into the spare GI jacket drill. If we loved you it would even be clean. Relatively.

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great discussion, really answered some of my self defense questions as well. Thanks

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mental training for self defense - how to? Reply with quote

non_descript wrote:
For some time now I have been reading in this forum but I am a new member so I apologize if I am going over on already discussed topic.

Self defense is a topic that has interested me in a long time. I know that on the street things are very different and very ugly and could even turn deadly.
I do realize that the first seconds of the attack are critical especially if you are not a big person (like me - 5'3" and about 115 pounds) and don't want to end up in bear hug or situation where someone double your size is on top of you since getting out of it will be nearly impossible. So what I want to ask you about is how do you think a person could best prepare for street attack so he/she won't freeze? I mean mental preparation. A lot of self defense seminars and trainings include environment awareness, useful techniques but it will all mean nothing if the second you are attacked your brain freezes.

This is such a great question! It is all too often not discussed.

This is something that I teach my nurses in the hospital. In fact, if it is the only thing they take away from my lessons then I count it as a success.

My first college degree is in Criminal Justice. As such, I read and studied serial killers as a kind of hobby. It was interesting to find that I share a first and last name with one. Don't worry, he died before I was born. One of the biggest things I took away was that every person has the capability of violence and hate. All that is needed is the proper motivation. The application of that violence when unleashed is a determination of the persons "training", or conditioning.

The biggest thing I tell my nurses is to start by being consciously aware. Pay attention to their body positioning and placement in a room. At first, it can be difficult, but after time it will become natural. Like throwing a Jodan Uke to counter a punch. The next thing I want them to do upon awareness is to game-play. They all do it during nursing school. They imagine their response to a code situation. Good hospitals will have them rehearse. During a code in a patient room, the physical location in the room determines their role. The person standing near the door is the recorder. They document what happens when. The nurse standing at the patient's lower right side has specific tasks. This sets a stage where everyone knows their task without the hindrance of being told.

This is all a form of mental contitioning. It allows the person to act more effectively, handle the stress better and reduce the chance of PTSD. Studies show that just thinking about your reaction to a stressor reduces the time to react and improves reaction. Luge athletes sit in a sled and imagine every turn of the race complete with physical movement to improve their runtimes.

If you condition your mind, and (God forbid) a situation requires you to act in a violent manner you will be better prepared.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:

Fear is a powerful emotion, and one we all have. And it's one that can be useful and has been in the human condition for some time. If you're interested in the subject, check out "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker. He has some excellent insight into the matter.

This is an excellent book. I first read it in college, showed it to my professor (Secret Service for over 20 years) and he immediately bought it.

It is on my required reading list for my daughter when she is older. Along with Starship Troopers, The Hobbit (Lord of the Rings Trilogy), White Fang and Call of the Wild.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Safroot
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Anger isn't really needed.

I have had that comment (No need to be angry, being Angry puts you in a weak position while fighting) while sparring couple of times from my sensei. Tbh I don't feel I was but I just feel I want to hit my target really hard beacuse I got a hard hit, so it's sort of payback ! I am trying to do my best to control it now.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freezing up or panicking in a confrontation, does seem to be a problem for some and over reacting fueled with anger for others.

This is where knowing oneself is important because each individual is different and so will everyone's reactions will be varied, depending on the situation.

Many martial art styles will teach you things/ techniques but everyone needs to know and to be honest with themselves, that when push comes to shove, that they will use it.

My personal view is, that if you protect what you love or care about, oneself included, a person will do what needs to be done without hesitation; in other words, belive in your own actions, to do the right thing at the right time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: