Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Middle weight/summer gi Reply with quote

After a 15 year hiatus, I've returned to karate. I used to have a Shureido K-10 that fit me like a custom made Armani suit, but committed a sin by somehow losing it in one of the 4 moves since I last wore it. I have a KI heavyweight gi now, but it's way too heavy (14 oz?) for the summer, and just doesn't fit right - jacket length is too short, pants feel like they're falling down, and so on.

One brand that's caught my eye is Tokon. The Europa seems like a very popular gi, but I don't know much about it. I think it's lighter and softer than the America? The Tokon Spirit has caught my interest too, as it seems light, but not see-through pajamas light like my original Century lighteweight gi that I wore for my first 3 months way back when.

Maybe this is a better way to go about it...

I need a light as possible gi that is durable, isn't see-through, holds its shape, and doesn't turn all yellow and disgusting.

Is the Tokon Spirit a glorified beginner gi, or is it a good option here? How does it directly compare with the Europa? I'd honestly like an elastic waist, but I've never seen a quality gi with one, so the Spirit raises a red flag because of it (maybe unjustly so).

Is the Tokon line cut like a Tokaido - slim fit/taller narrow person, or more like Shureido - boxier, or for bigger shouldered/stockier people? An old training partner had a Tokaido. Great quality, but it didn't fit me right. My only criticism of the Shureido was the jacket/tail length could have been just a little longer.
Or should I suck it up and get the Shureido middleweight K-11. Not much more than the Europa. But I've never seen it so I don't know if it's just a lighter version of the K-10, too light, or an inferior product overall. I'd be shocked if it wasn't up to Shureido standards, but stranger things have happened.

I've seen various others - Mugen, Kwon, Ronin, but I've crossed them off my list for various reasons.

I greatly appreciate any insight on any of the Shureido or Tokon his, especially comparisons between the Tokons themselves. Thanks!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...

I'd buy a new Shureido K-10, but having 2 kids in daycare doesn't leave the disposable income I had about 20 years ago - way out of my price range. And my main justification for replacing the KI is its way too hot. I need something significantly lighter than the KI and a bit lighter than what I remember the K-10 being. The lighter, the better, unless it's garbage quality.

RosieKins
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shukokai

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

There is the Shuerido Waza gi which is cheaper and lighter than the K-10 and also very lightweight. Just under £120 i think

Me and my daughter personally go for Tokaido. They gi's are great quality and the Nissaka is a lightweight gi (10oz but doesn't feel it) and at quite a resonable price.
I paid just under £40 for ours, maybe have a look at some size guides to see if there can be any help to finding the perfect fit for tokaido?

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the reply. The gis you mention aren't readily available here in the States unfortunately. It seems the distributors only carry the highest end lines of Tokaido and Shureido. Without knowing exactly what I'm getting, I'm not comfortable buying from an overseas company. Return shipping across the pond can get quite expensive.

I really like Tokaido gis. Not that I've tried on too many, but none of them I've tried on fit me right. To be totally honest, I like their longer tail and fist logo better than Shureido's. The material and workmanship is very comparable IMO. Shureido just feels like it was cut for me personally.

chiliphil1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot speak from personal experience BUT I have never heard a single bad word about Tokon. I am really not sure on the cut of them but they offer several different flavors, Europa, America, etc..

If you check on www.discountmas.com the Shuriedo k-10 is only $75 more than the Europa, and they also have the TKW-11 middle weight for about $15 more. I am not sure what you are looking to spend but they site I referenced has the Token for $150 so I am going off of that for comparison.

If you are going to spend $150 I would really just save up a bit longer and spring for the Shuriedo. I have kids too so I understand not having the money, but you're so close, it would be worth it to wait. Or you could just go with the Shuriedo middle weight.. Your choice.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

8th Kyu
Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also recommend Shureido because all their gis are very good quality canvas. The middle weight is great, even when training in Okinawa's humid semitropical summer. It costs around 120$ so it is not as expensive as a heavy weight. That is a great deal for a 100% cotton gi but if 12oz is still to heavy the light weight ones are also very good. They go for about 100$ or less if there is a sale.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. I'm about 90% sure I'm going with a Shureido at this point. Have either of you directly compared the K-10 and K-11? Is the K-11 pretty much the same gi, just a bit lighter? I think it is, but I've never seen the K-11 in person. My dojo gets pretty hot, and if I could get a lighter version on my old K-10 without sacrificing any quality, that would be as close to perfect as I think I could get.

Money's tight right now, but Father's Day is coming, as is my 39th birthday a week afterward. Maybe a combined gift with the difference thrown in by me, and I can eliminate buyer's remorse.

But the Tokon gis have me intrigued. Maybe get a K-11 now, and a Europa next summer when I get rid of $1200/month of daycare.

I'm very curious about the Europa vs Spirit comparison too, if anyone has insight.

Also, I know if I buy a new K-10, I'll find the old one a week later. Always works out that way. If I don't buy one, I'll never find it.

Thanks again! Much appreciated.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...

Discountmas.com has the K-11 for $165 and K-10 for $215. Where is the $100 or so Shureido? Or is it a different model? Can't find anything less expensive. Shureido USA has a KA-9 listed as a children's beginner's gi, but no price and I can't find any info anywhere on it. Seems like it's nothing special, but I've never seen it. Any experience with it?

chiliphil1
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Sorry...

Discountmas.com has the K-11 for $165 and K-10 for $215. Where is the $100 or so Shureido? Or is it a different model? Can't find anything less expensive. Shureido USA has a KA-9 listed as a children's beginner's gi, but no price and I can't find any info anywhere on it. Seems like it's nothing special, but I've never seen it. Any experience with it?

This site has the K-10 for $164 http://www.okinawadirect.com/products/70-K-10-Heavyweight-Dogi/19-Shureido-K-10-Heavyweight-Dogi/default.asp

Here is the WAZA gi for $137.50 http://www.amazon.com/Shureido-KUMITE-Approved-Karate-Uniform/dp/B00GZRUTMG

You can also buy the full line here http://www.okinawadirect.com/products/17-shureido-uniforms/ they offer split sizes as well which is hard to find. This site will ship it straight from Okinawa so it will take a couple of weeks to get, just be sure to convert the curency over, all their prices are in yen.

I cannot speak to the difference between the various models in terms of fit, I have no experience with them.

Good luck to you!

8th Kyu
Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Chiliphil. Have you ordered from them? If you're in the U.S., did you have to pay import taxes, and if so, how much? I don't want to order something thinking I'm going to save $50 and find out I have to spend more than the savings in tariffs, and wait 3 weeks on top of that. I don't mind waiting a bit for shipping, but if I'm only saving a few bucks when's all said and done, then there's no point. I don't know anyone who's imported stuff like this before, so I don't know what I'm getting in to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: