Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sansoouser
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: san soo, judo,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how would he do in an all out fight? no rules. He already can bite good
( ) but he would be blind to kicks and take downs but if he hit you bare knuckled with a good hit you would have one heck of a lump the next day ( you were awake ) I dunno though, lennox beat tyson so why not have him go in there hes tall and could use his legs good.

sk0t
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think that Mike Tyson would fair as well as some of you think.

For instance he might be a fighter...but that is boxer. He uses only his fists. (Biting is not allowed). I agree with some of the concensus that he does pack a wallop.

But people who train in the MA know that when your opponent gets mad it is prime to to lay the whoop down. And if Mike Tyson flipped out...he would flip out with his fists...because that is what he does...

He wouldnt stand a chance. IMHO!

"I shall not be judged by what style I know, but how I apply that style againsts yours..."

whynot
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grappling skills or no grappling skills, whoever was fighting Tyson would have to get him to the ground before any of that would matter. Boxers generally move quite well when they fight, much better than most fighters. This being true, it would be difficult to land kicks on him, and getting him to the ground would take someone shooting in extremely fast to avoid being knocked out by his fists. I am not saying that it could not be done, but it would be quite the trick to pull off. Personally, I think that I would put my money on Tyson.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whynot-

did you ever watch he first 15 UFC's? you know the ones where every Boxer got taken down..usually without landing a hit first..

Royce Gracie vs Art Jimmerson in UFC 1 is the first example.

Warp Spider
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJS wrote:
Whynot-

did you ever watch he first 15 UFC's? you know the ones where every Boxer got taken down..usually without landing a hit first..

Royce Gracie vs Art Jimmerson in UFC 1 is the first example.

There's also been examples where grapplers have been KO'd without getting a single takedown in. You might have also noticed that the fighters in UFC are generally not like Mike Tyson. In case you didn't notice, Mike Tyson is hugely muscular.

If Andre the giant was alive today he'd beat them all!

whynot
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TJS-

Boxers can be taken down; I never said that they could not. What I said was that taking Mike Tyson, a former heavy weight world champ, to the ground would be difficult to do. To the best of my knowledge, there have not been any former heavy weight world champion boxers to get into the cage of the UFC. I am not disagreeing with you; one should know how to grapple before they compete in a NHB fight. But the boxers in the UFC have nowhere near the experience and skill of Mike Tyson. If they did, they would have stuck with boxing, as there is generally more money to be made in that sport.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warp spider-

Quote:
There's also been examples where grapplers have been KO'd without getting a single takedown in.

Find me one example of a Striker who has beaten in competent grappler in the UFC without Cross training in wrestling/jiu jitsu or some other grappling stlye.

All of the Succesful Striker n the UFC are the ones who can either

A) survive on the ground because of cross training in jiu jitsu/submission wrestling etc

or

B) have a strong wrestling background and can stay on their feet.

Pedro Rizzo, Maurice Smith, Bas Rutten, Chuck Liddel, etc ..all of them are fomous "strikers" and all meet one of the criteria above.

Quote:
You might have also noticed that the fighters in UFC are generally not like Mike Tyson. In case you didn't notice, Mike Tyson is hugely muscular

Are you saying There havent been any Built Athletes in the UFC?

Whynot-Yes I agree there has never been a boxer of Tyson caliber in the UFC..I would love to see him fight but we all know it will never happen.

Black Dragon
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys kidding me, people forget that Tyson isn't just a hard hitter, he's also frighteningly quick. I think a grappler would have to be a master in their style to even stand a chance. Tyson is much to strong and fights like the devil gone beserk.

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always considered mike tyson to be a fighter first and foremost and a boxer second.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

shotokanwarrior
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Self Defense

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think tyson fought on the streets before he was a boxer. so he might know a little more than most people think.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: