Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

vory91
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: minimal damage Reply with quote

It is good to defend oneself. Contain the person and run off. Also carry pepper spray.
[/code]

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a second there
I believed that a haiku
I was mistaken

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the run through of pepper spray. I will never carry it, or ever try to use it. I just don't think it is that reliable.

I don't have anything against not hurting someone as much as possible, however, if someone puts my safety at stake, I will surely not hold their's in high regard.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the same way, bushido man. I don't keep it on my belt, and I flat out tell new guys (everyone else knows) to never, ever deploy that stuff around me. It's as likely to turn me into a blubbering pile of jello as the bad guy, who according to Murphy's Law will not even be phased by it. I'll wrestle the guy, thanks.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a knife, but I can't ever see it being used. I can certainly maim somebody without any weapons and my first reaction is never to reach for my pocket. I keep it on me for two reasons: (1) it's a pretty cool looking knife and (2) if it's a situation in which I would prefer to scare away an opponent rather than face them (i.e. they keep getting back up or someone else, say a friend, is also with me and they're at risk as well).

I hate pepper spray as well though. It really does taint the air around you, and there are varying laws on carrying it, so a knife is just easier.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Montana
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Matsumura Kenpo & Kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I've had the run through of pepper spray. I will never carry it, or ever try to use it. I just don't think it is that reliable.

I don't have anything against not hurting someone as much as possible, however, if someone puts my safety at stake, I will surely not hold their's in high regard.

100% in agreement on all counts!

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montana wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

100% in agreement on all counts!

Thanks, Motana.

Zaine wrote:
I actually have a knife, but I can't ever see it being used. I can certainly maim somebody without any weapons and my first reaction is never to reach for my pocket. I keep it on me for two reasons: (1) it's a pretty cool looking knife and (2) if it's a situation in which I would prefer to scare away an opponent rather than face them (i.e. they keep getting back up or someone else, say a friend, is also with me and they're at risk as well).

By training on ways to deploy your knife, you can become more comfortable with drawing it, and making accessible as a first reaction, should it need to be one. Just something to think about.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but I like to think of that as a last resort. I'm already perfectly comfortable with physically facing the opponent as I am.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
True, but I like to think of that as a last resort. I'm already perfectly comfortable with physically facing the opponent as I am.
And that's a good thing. I'm just thinking more along a worst-case-scenario line of thinking, in case you would need to escalate to a weapon.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
And that's a good thing. I'm just thinking more along a worst-case-scenario line of thinking, in case you would need to escalate to a weapon.

Yeah I'm definitely with you. If it escalates to a situation that would need me to take a knife I would probably have the good mind to take it out. I clear my mind in the heat of a fight, but when I get to a point that I need to run usually something in me snaps back into a working mind (thankfully, God help me if that stops).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: