Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Whisky147
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kung fu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Missing classes due to work reasons Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I am looking at getting back into MA after a good few years break, but one of my concerns is- i am looking at working for the ambulance service which as you can imagine will involve all sorts of crazy and varied shift hours, so there may be times when i wont be able to attend classes for the entire week/days absent here and there. How do instructors feel about students that have sporadic attendances or cannot achieve 100% attendance?

I would hate for an instructor to think that i was a lazy student/not interested in training etc when to be honest i would love to train everyday if it was possible!

Would this sort of thing affect my training too much or how the instructor would view me as a student?

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel most instructors would understand your work schedule. If you are committed and train in your off time then the result will show on the floor, if not, that will show too. It might take longer to get your next belt due to less in class time.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
I feel most instructors would understand your work schedule. If you are committed and train in your off time then the result will show on the floor, if not, that will show too. It might take longer to get your next belt due to less in class time.
Good points. If you decide to enroll in a class, be up front with the instructor and let them know what kind of schedule they can expect from you. Work is an important aspect of most of our lives, and in this day and age, Martial Arts practice is something we do on the side that doesn't earn a living for most of us. That's something that instructors have to understand, and will have to accept if they hope to have students.

Talk to the instructor. Let them know what you do for a living, the kinds of hours and shifts you work, etc, and what kind of class attendance you can have. Hopefully, the instructor will be considerate and work with you. If not, then look to a different school.

I work in law enforcement, so I'm right there with you on the goofy shifts and surprise outings.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make excuses for doing something instead of giving reasons not to do it. Missing a training day at the dojo here and there should not matter that much at all if one attends as often as possible and practices at home or wherever and whenever one has a spare few minutes. The key is to do as much as possible with the time available.

Any worthwhile instructor can see who practices and who show up for lessons but do nothing until the next day. This is how a student who only shows up once a week but practices can make more progress than one who just goes to the classes and does nothing between a class and the next.

Whisky147
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks,
I'll make sure to inform the instructor about my potentially crazy work patterns, i'm sure in this day and age they'll understand that not everyone works a standard 9-5 job

bushido_man96 wrote:
I work in law enforcement, so I'm right there with you on the goofy shifts and surprise outings.

Feel for you buddy, stay safe out there!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't life great? It always finds a way to get in the way!! 7 times down, 8 times up!! Any Sensei/instructor worth his/her own salt, will not ever hold these type of issues against their student because life gets in their way too!!

Train hard...train well...whenever life allows it!!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice so far.

I wouldn't sweat it too much as long as you've told your instructor that you might not make every session. People have lives outside of the dojo.

I travel a lot for work which means missing classes - missed on tonight actually. I just drop my instructor a quick message to let him know I can't make it and will put the extra effort in next time.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An instructor who demands when people train is pretty out of touch with reality imo. Unless of course training is your job, such as a pro fighter, or you've committed to teaching regularly.

The best thing I've heard in this regard came from my current teacher. Before officially signing up, I told him I can attend certain nights regularly, but I have work and family stuff that comes up (my daughters are 4 and 6). His response - everyone's got a life to live. You can come every day, never, or anything in between. It's your training, not mine. I teach whoever's here and don't ask people where they've been. (We tell him though )

Whisky147
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice folks, it has certainly put my mind to rest
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: