Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without any doubt, it's quite unsettling to deal with those who abuse the MA. Being an instructor of the MA for 4 decades, I use to take these barbaric acts as a personal act on what I hold dear within the MA.

Why would they chose these less than honorable acts? I can only assume!! What's in the heart of man, is for him/her to say. Nonetheless, those disgraceful acts are theirs to decide if they are honorable or not. To those the choose to dishonor the MA, their acts are not a dishonor!

Why?

Maybe, it's the Martial...it's the war...that they find the pleasure in committing such horrific acts in the name of the MA..I suppose! Personally, I detest their actions, and in that, I can personally label them as unworthy of the MA.

Quote:
What if it was someone to whom I taught that was using what I taught him to pick fights or worse to beat others and other serious criminal violence?

There's not much that I can do. I can report said student to the Police, but only if they've committed a crime; they will have their date in court.

I can expel said student from both my dojo as well as from the Shindokan Hombu.

I can pass rules of accountability within my dojo as well as within the Shindokan Hombu.

I can erase their name(s) from my dojo as well as from the Shindokan Hombu.

I can choose to never associate with this person(s) for the rest of my life; I've no use for thieves and liars, nor do I have use for those who would abuse and dishonor the MA.

What can't I do?

I can't, and won't, strip them of their rank/title. Our By-Laws forbid that; it's not an option, nor does an act exist that permits it.

I can't take personal physical actions upon him/her. That, would be a crime. A crime in which I'd be subjected to having aforementioned five things done upon me; of which, I'd be guilty of.

Modern times wouldn't permit me to commit unlawful punishments upon this type of person. After all, this isn't 1600 Japan, nor am I one to take the law into my own hands. Can I defend myself if they choose to assault me? Sure! Defend! Anything beyond that would be me abusing the MA; that's not an option I'd choose!

Moral compasses have run askew in those types who would abuse the MA in order to commit crimes against others.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel very strongly about this issue and I agree with the moral and ethic principles according to which a martial arts teacher is responsible for passing on more than just martial techniques. Dealing with those who use what they are taught for unlawful purpose is part of those responsibilities.

Some might consider this way of thinking old fashioned or foreign, but it is still possible to act on it. I may have particular thoughts about how one should teach martial arts, but I truly believe in the rule of law and it's enforment by the proper authorities.

With this in mind I believe it is the responsibility of an instructor to confront any student who misuses or abuses what is taught. Anything and everything within the law to ensure the student changes or ceases the actions in question should be done. This includes warnings to authorities if applicable and letting peers know about the misuse and abuse. After all who wants the reputation of instructing thugs or frauds?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
I feel very strongly about this issue and I agree with the moral and ethic principles according to which a martial arts teacher is responsible for passing on more than just martial techniques. Dealing with those who use what they are taught for unlawful purpose is part of those responsibilities.

Some might consider this way of thinking old fashioned or foreign, but it is still possible to act on it. I may have particular thoughts about how one should teach martial arts, but I truly believe in the rule of law and it's enforment by the proper authorities.

With this in mind I believe it is the responsibility of an instructor to confront any student who misuses or abuses what is taught. Anything and everything within the law to ensure the student changes or ceases the actions in question should be done. This includes warnings to authorities if applicable and letting peers know about the misuse and abuse. After all who wants the reputation of instructing thugs or frauds?
I agree. Its important for an instructor to be wary of what is going on through his/her school. Its important for the students to know and understand that they are ambassadors of the school, and their actions reflect on the school.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us not forget that the MA isn't at fault! By that I mean, the gun isn't at fault when it's used in unmoral and unethical acts; the gun doesn't kill, the wielder of said gun kills. Same thing: the MA doesn't commit unmoral and unethical acts; the MA doesn't decide; the practitioner decides.

That moral compass must be held tightly in the hand of the instructor; first sign of abuse and the like, the instructor must act accordingly and immediately without ambiguity and/or reservation. Otherwise, continued abuse then becomes the fault of the instructor for allowing it to continue.

Imho!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial arts were developed in the (East) past for certain people in a certain culture, now exported into another location in (the West) another time.

We are living in a gun culture, hand to hand confrontations don't seem to be as important.

Someone with a gun can cause (massacres) alot of deaths in a short amount of time; without much training or effort.

Misuse of firearms is a large genuine social problem compared to the misuse of martial arts that it is relatively low.

Misuse of martial arts will be more likely come from within the martial art world and not directed out on to the world.

The high level of teaching martial arts with moral responsibilitys attached is very important for everyone's safety.

Being part of a positive activity such as martial arts makes it very rewarding and worthwhile.

If martial arts was a bad and negative pastime, creating enemies and hurting those that are weak and frail, then those with moral values would quit all ties and affiliations very quickly.

Personally I like the Chinese approach to martial arts as a way to make friends.

Those that do misuse martial arts are more likely to find out the hard way and be surprised by those that have zero tolerance for abusive people's behavior.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I've ever seen abuse of MA out on the streets or otherwise (excluding footage of a cop practicing his round kick on a restrained woman's head.)

I have seen what I'd consider to be at least poor sportsmanship in tournaments. The humbleness/humility that should come with training seems to be left at home when people go to tournaments. Personally, I don't ever plan to participate in such a thing. I'm only competing with myself. No one else.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: