Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Ronin_21
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Aikido, BJJ, Shorin Ryu Matsumura Sieto Karate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Mixing Shorin ryu with Shotokan... Good or bad? Reply with quote

I just started Shorin Ryu,1 month ago, and plan on training 4 days a week for the next 3 months. I then have to move back to CA from AZ (annual work migration 8 months(CA) 4 Months(AZ)). And the only style of karate offered is Shotokan.

I have read a few threads on here where people have highly recommended training for at least a year in one style in order to build a solid foundation before cross training in a similar style. If I were to do this that means I would have to wait 3 years... I really want to continue my study of karate, but I know there are some serious differences between the two styles. Another option would be to completely drop karate all together for 8 months and train exclusively in Aikido or BJJ, and continue karate when I move back to AZ.

Any advice?

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'l still progress going back and forth, it just might be very confusing and cause you to progress slower in each art. There'll be an adjustment period each time you switch and you'll be learning twice the curriculum, meaning double the kata to progress. It'll be slow going.

I like the idea of BJJ in Cali and Karate in AZ. After 4 months you'll have enough to practice on your own for awhile while you do BJJ. The only problem you may run into is that it'd be a lot harder for you to continue BJJ while in AZ without finding a school there.

Ronin_21
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupin1 wrote:
You'l still progress going back and forth, it just might be very confusing and cause you to progress slower in each art. There'll be an adjustment period each time you switch and you'll be learning twice the curriculum, meaning double the kata to progress. It'll be slow going.

I like the idea of BJJ in Cali and Karate in AZ. After 4 months you'll have enough to practice on your own for awhile while you do BJJ. The only problem you may run into is that it'd be a lot harder for you to continue BJJ while in AZ without finding a school there.

There are plenty of BJJ schools around here in AZ so it is something I could continue when I move back. I don't really mind all the curriculum learning, the problem I really see with it is the difference in blocks. Though relatively the same they have a different turn of the wrist and more of a drawn out process of reaching the block ie low black for shotokan seems to start up from the shoulder moving down the arm to the block while shorin ryu is from the elbow/forearm area to the ending block.

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's a paradox, but training in two styles of something so similar is very difficult. I trained in Shorin Ryu for 8 years, then Shotokan for 6 years, then back to Shorin Ryu and passed my Nidan. It is possible, challenging but it can give you a dimension to your karatedo that is very positive. It depends at times on the attitude of the person that teaches you; if they are a jealous type who are closed to your development, it can be very hard. Never empty your cup fully, in time you can choose what is best for you. I train in Karate and Aikido, they both benefit, if your art comes from the heart, it is never wrong.

Ronin_21
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harkon72 wrote:
I know it's a paradox, but training in two styles of something so similar is very difficult. I trained in Shorin Ryu for 8 years, then Shotokan for 6 years, then back to Shorin Ryu and passed my Nidan. It is possible, challenging but it can give you a dimension to your karatedo that is very positive. It depends at times on the attitude of the person that teaches you; if they are a jealous type who are closed to your development, it can be very hard. Never empty your cup fully, in time you can choose what is best for you. I train in Karate and Aikido, they both benefit, if your art comes from the heart, it is never wrong.

Thank you for the advice, I am going to speak with my current instructor and see what he recommends. As well as contact the instructor of the school in CA because it does say on his website he has a teaching certificate from the AOKA to instruct in Isshin-Ryu Karate as well as Shotokan (JKA). So he would probably have some pretty insightful information for me!

Here is the link to his credentials if anybody wouldn't mind looking at them and telling me what they think.
www.gregdowsdojo.com/about-us.php

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the amount of training you will have when you go to CA, I recommend you do not train in Shotokan. There are more differences than just blocks, and you will end up dealing with a lot of confusion and frustration trying to learn two different systems. If you had been training in Shorin-Ryu for a year or two, then I would tell you to go for it, but not after just a few months.

That said, it could be beneficial to ask them if you can come in and spar with them on a fairly regular basis. That will help you keep working on karate in a way that won't force you to change your Shorin-Ryu basics and kata. It will also help keep your reactions, timing, and speed improving. You can work your kata and kihon at home.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronin_21 wrote:
Harkon72 wrote:

Thank you for the advice, I am going to speak with my current instructor and see what he recommends. As well as contact the instructor of the school in CA because it does say on his website he has a teaching certificate from the AOKA to instruct in Isshin-Ryu Karate as well as Shotokan (JKA). So he would probably have some pretty insightful information for me!

Here is the link to his credentials if anybody wouldn't mind looking at them and telling me what they think.
www.gregdowsdojo.com/about-us.php

I agree with Harkon72 here. I don't think one should ever pass up the chance to learn something from a great instructor. Nor do I think you should pass up the chance to continue your training just because the style is different. Sure, there might be some confusion for you, and you might get crossed up on a few things here and there. But have faith in your own ability to discern things and put things together.

Remember, this is your journey, so take it the way you see fit.

Last edited by bushido_man96 on Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it'll increase your MA betterment, than train in both if you're able to train in both at the same time! They both aren't alien to one another, so I believe you'll be fine cross training in them both!!

wildbourgman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently train Shorin Ryu and Shotokan. It can be confusing but I'm learning to separate the differences when necessary and combine the styles when possible. My first style was Shotokan in which I have reached Shodan , I'm getting ready to test for 6th kyu in Shorin Ryu. I find that Shorin Ryu has much more material to learn, tuite, kobudo, free hand kihon, and kata as well as other parts of the training.

I know there is a dojo in my old home town that teaches both Shorin Ryu and Shotokan at the same time and they seem to be doing fine.

There are differences, I think that the differences can be confusing but I think they can eventually compliment both styles.

In my view Shotokan and Shorin Ryu practitioners can be more well rounded martial artist if they can master the differences that I think fill the gaps of both styles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: