Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
I read it a couple of months ago. It had some really nice quotes, but some others were very outdated.
Which quotes were good and which were out of date?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
singularity6 wrote:
I read it a couple of months ago. It had some really nice quotes, but some others were very outdated.

I'd have to go back and review. I do recall reading it and thinking "wow, the world has moved on from that perspective." Hagakure gave me a similar impression, as well (except Hagakure was way more boring.)

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

I'd have to go back and review. I do recall reading it and thinking "wow, the world has moved on from that perspective." Hagakure gave me a similar impression, as well (except Hagakure was way more boring.)
Miyomoto's words are two things, a gift and a winning mindset; same holds true also with Bruce Lee.

They are not going to be able to re-explain them selves so we can understand them, neither should they.

A martial artist, now or in the future will be able to make sense of their insightfulness and make good use of it.

If Miyomoto is difficult to understand, just, think how difficult it was for his opponents to figure him out, without his book or manual to go by.

Miyomotos teachings are not a read it once and you have it figured out, it is more like a place to review and revisit throughout your martial art journey, to make more sense of his words than the last visit.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
singularity6 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

Miyomoto's words are two things, a gift and a winning mindset; same holds true also with Bruce Lee.

They are not going to be able to re-explain them selves so we can understand them, neither should they.

A martial artist, now or in the future will be able to make sense of their insightfulness and make good use of it.

If Miyomoto is difficult to understand, just, think how difficult it was for his opponents to figure him out, without his book or manual to go by.

Miyomotos teachings are not a read it once and you have it figured out, it is more like a place to review and revisit throughout your martial art journey, to make more sense of his words than the last visit.

To the bold type above...

If I was Miyomoto's opponent, and his book or manual was available, I'd not have the whole and complete understanding because, imho, books/manuals can have that intention underlying withheld in its manuscript.

A teacher doesn't always reveal everything that's taught to their student for that teachers own reason(s). So, I'd be cautious as to what I was reading because one can't judge a book in its totality because Miyomoto might have kept things to himself. Have to keep the blade sharp, at all times!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
singularity6 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

If I was Miyomoto's opponent, and his book or manual was available, I'd not have the whole and complete understanding because, imho, books/manuals can have that intention underlying withheld in its manuscript.

A teacher doesn't always reveal everything that's taught to their student for that teachers own reason(s). So, I'd be cautious as to what I was reading because one can't judge a book in its totality because Miyomoto might have kept things to himself. Have to keep the blade sharp, at all times!!

As Miyomoto was in his 60's when starting writing his book (retreated to the mountains) I don't this as a time to start keeping secrets, very much the opposite, from my understanding of him.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
singularity6 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

As Miyomoto was in his 60's when starting writing his book (retreated to the mountains) I don't this as a time to start keeping secrets, very much the opposite, from my understanding of him.

Every human being keeps a part of themselves private, for whatever the reason(s) might or might not be. We become proponents of ourselves much deeper and deeper into their own self created quagmire through their own doing(s).

Imho!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
singularity6 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

Every human being keeps a part of themselves private, for whatever the reason(s) might or might not be. We become proponents of ourselves much deeper and deeper into their own self created quagmire through their own doing(s).

Imho!!

Miyamoto died of stomach cancer, the brevity of his books, perhaps was to present himself and his ideas in a broader way, due to being closer to death and pointing out key areas, that he felt worthwhile studing and investigating.

With each student finding their own personal way by practicing, with the correct spirit and strategies that he highlighted.

Miyamoto's words have had a very strong and deep meaning for me, when fighting or sparring, very recently, for the last twenty years, in the late 1990's, as up to that point, I was never formally or otherwise, hadn't been introduced to strategy up until then.

His fighting and writing both hitting the point, very accurately, that can be used in any field of endeavor, including business and daily living.

For a martial artist that has never been involved or introduced to Miyamoto, there is no time like the present to start learning.

To be a life long, humble student of martial arts, then there is no better companion than Miyamoto Musashi by your side, never once have I felt anything else but the truth, from this remarkable warrior.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perception is reality to THAT individual!!

His workings are dynamic; this I can't deny, and possibly more modern than some might admit openly.

But he's just one man, and the world is full of notable individuals. Often times, I feel that his time was then, and it's not now; things that were beneficial back then are not beneficial now.

He was Samurai!! I admire that!! His days were brutal and feudal, and his battles were glorious, and were fatal with an unreserved resolve; his survival depended on it.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
singularity6 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

I wouldn't say his work was difficult to understand, nor do I think it was a waste of time reading. Like most classics, I found that while it was well-written and had some good points (especially for his time,) I was rather under-whelmed by the content.

Then again, I felt the same way about Star Wars and Office Space, and I was flat-out disappointed by the lack of creativity in The DaVinci Code (book, and movie.) My point: Perhaps I'm hard to please!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myomoto Musashi documentary, depicting the story of his life.

As for me he is an inspirational figure from martial art history; still relevant today.

I hope you find the time to watch this depiction of Miyamoto and draw knowledge, wisdom and skill from his journey as a warrior.

https://youtu.be/oi4GB7XEcVg

As for understanding Japanese martial arts, without Miyamoto in the mix, would be like always eating Japanese food without ever tasting soya sauce.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: