Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In point sparring you do think about takedowns..thats a bad habit

In point sparring you hit someone once and the fight stops

In point sparring if you hit the top of my head before my elbow hits your jaw..you win..

In point sparring you USUALLY dont spar full contact.

Most point sparring tournaments do not allowe knees or elbows or takedowns or even punches to the face.

Yes i think it can teach bad habits.

ShadowWolf01
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Hoshinroshiryu Jutaijutsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to talk serious about fighting on the street then there are a couple of things that you have to train for that MMA and Point Sparring will never prepare you for. I speak from my own personal experience and other's may or may not agree with me and that's okay, I would still like to hear your feedback.

If your fighting on the street then there are a couple of thing to keep in mind. First, there are no rules, and second, I'd say that 95% of the time your opponent and his / her friends don't have any honour (Canadian Spelling) or respect. Its not often that I hear about a street / bar fight when its one on one, most times you get the other person's friends trying to jump you from behind. If its not that then your opponent introduces a weapon to the fight, anything from a wooden stick, steel pipe, knife, and heaven help us if its a gun.

Think of the idiot that starts the street fight. I would have to assume that this is not the first fight that this person has ever started and I would say that yes, this person is experienced in fighting, even if he is not officially trained. Being skilled in MA (ring or point fighting) will give you a slight advantage, but if you have not trained to fight a person with a weapon or multiple attackers then your advantage just went into the sewer.

How many of you train for being attacked from multiple attackers or by a weapon? I do.

This is one of the biggest things that separate a sport dojo from a combat dojo. There are other things that separate the two types but in my personal opinion, this is the biggest.

I hope I haven't offended anyone but with all the talk on sport or street fighting, I feel that no one has brought in the realistic possibilities of outside interference that MMA or Point fighters never have to worry about in a ring fight.

I have fought and been jumped from behind and I have had someone pull a knife out at me, things like this happen often in a "Real fight".

Let me know your thoughts on this.

TJS
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: boxing, Thai boxing, BJJ,

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes there are alot more variables in a street fight..weapones and multiple opponets are both very real threats.

There are other things that MMA does not teach aswell...but i still feel it's great preperation for a confrentation.

As long as you keep other variables in mind.

aznkarateboi
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: shaolin gung fu southern style

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

point sparring has a chance to teach bad habits but i think that the positive effects outweigh the negative ones by a great deal

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It keeps growing and growing. When will it stop!

"Lock em out or Knock em out"
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: