Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the ego driven one on one fights should be a non-issue, as you should not need to fight in those. Let them have their ego and walk off. Things where a group decides to maul someone for groupthink are more dangerous. Predatory attacks are an isue too, but you should be able to defuse most of those by not doing stupid things and being a target. If it starts with discussion and talking that's an interview, and you should be able to no-sale the fight by showing that you have integrity and are neither trying to provoke them more nor willing to let them steamroller you.

ElShaft
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shoto-Budo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah those two types are the most dangerous or at least the most likely to finish in confrontation. Your right with your point about the best self defence is avoidance especially with groups of people.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can be attacked by anyone. The times when you get hurt are when you don't think the person you're talking to is a threat and then they turn out to be. By assuming the idea of a "common attacker", you're underestimating others who could attack you.

For the average guy, this could be women.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFDR6beT-v8 (NSFW, some bad language)

...the elderly....
http://blutube.policeone.com/Clip.aspx?key=976D787ED43696B6

...or kids. Columbine anyone?

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not THAT random. People don't randomly flip out and attack whoever is nearby.
There are people who are inclined to such behaviors - look out for selfishness, a sense of entitlement, and other such personality traits that are building blocks of criminal behavior, and then avoid being in their sights.
Attacks don't happen in crowds with lots of people to break it up, they happen in the fringes where it can actually be gotten away with - you can learn to be watchful when you are passing through isolated spaces, and often you don't need to go there right at that moment. If you were going to ambush someone, then get away clean, where would you be? How would you move? Now don't go obliviously bopping along next to people standing like that.
People don't get attacked by even odds attackers; as a rule if someone is going to attack you, they first must size you up and decide if you are going to fight back in a way that matters. In computer game/MMO terms, attackers are generally "grey-gankers", in other words. They don't want to get hurt, they want to dish out the hurt. If you're aware and confident and quick to defend your identity, you might trip their alarm bells that you aren't going to be pushed around without a fight that they just don't want to be bothered with.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JusticeZero"]Well, it's not THAT random. People don't randomly flip out and attack whoever is nearby.[quote]

None of those are really "out there" as far as encounters can be.

And yes, some can and often do. We had a call a few months ago that still sticks out in my mind. Can't talk about too much of it as it's still going to court, but essentially a guy was walking down the street when a naked man jumps out of a car, assaults him, and hops in the car to drive off (conveniently leaving his shorts with his wallet at the scene). Another call had a guy swinging a broken board at people outside the gas station because they were out of Snickers bars. There's some seriously disturbed people out there, and they live closer to you than you think.

Quote:
Attacks don't happen in crowds with lots of people to break it up, they happen in the fringes where it can actually be gotten away with - you can learn to be watchful when you are passing through isolated spaces, and often you don't need to go there right at that moment.

Attacks can and do happen in crowds too, hence why you need to be cognizant of who's in your space. It's in the news all the time.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think attackers are determined on the place or area. Per environment. In other words, one may never have a drunk attacker if they live in a small town with a snmall population, let alone a mugger or rapist.

algernon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in a small village, and most fights were drunken. As were the rapes and robberies. A person living in a small town is just as likely to become violent as one living in a large city; they are just a little more likely to be recognized. Having a lot of neighbors does not turn someone into a criminal.

RichardZ
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Dont get me wrong, I am not saying that a small town will not have violence. I am saying that, from my experience, they are less likely to have many like a large city.

albeaver89
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of you are saying drunken males, i find that girls fight and argue more then guys. And the girls fright more dirty.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think by considering a certain group as the most common type of attacker will cause you to let your guard down around those who aren't in that same category, which can be a big mistake.

ANYONE can be an attacker. Male or female, young or old, large or small, drunk/high or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: