Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Chunmonchek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Effective Karate Move Reply with quote

Fat Cobra wrote:
I know this is a complex question with complex answers, but I am going to try to simplify it anyway:

If you had to pick one move (bunkai, kumite move, combination, etc.) that you think is the single most effective in Karate, what would it be?

"Stomp the groin"

LastKing
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Freestyle karate, kickboxing, tai chi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
Trick questions/answers aside, answering just the exact question of a "move," and not something more broad:

A punch to the face.

There are lots of principles/concepts that can be used to deliver that punch to the face. There are lots of things you can do to make it more effective, or counter an opponent's defenses to ensure it lands, and so on, but when it comes right down to it, a punch to the face is probably the highest percentage fight-ender that exists in fighting, statistically.

Personally, I'd say a good strong punch to the solar plexus, but a punch, none the less.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Jamming!!

The core heart of Shindokan's Tuite; this is the hub of our brand. If my opponent can't complete said technique, then I've set in motion as to neutralize my opponent.

Nothing more enjoyable than seeing that confounding look roll onto my opponents flushed face as my jamming sets my Tuite in an effective motion.

sensei8, this is excellent and I agree. It can also be called "stuffing." This is the approach many grapplers and wrestlers use as well...close the range quickly so that a striker can be neutralized...and Tuite is grappling at close range, so it works.

Also, I agree with a lot of you as well...a good punch is a good technique.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Most Effective Karate Move Reply with quote

Chunmonchek wrote:
Fat Cobra wrote:
I know this is a complex question with complex answers, but I am going to try to simplify it anyway:

If you had to pick one move (bunkai, kumite move, combination, etc.) that you think is the single most effective in Karate, what would it be?

"Stomp the groin"

Then re-stomp the groin.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Most Effective Karate Move Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
Chunmonchek wrote:
Fat Cobra wrote:

"Stomp the groin"

Then re-stomp the groin.

I’m glad someone corrected it

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Cobra wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Jamming!!

The core heart of Shindokan's Tuite; this is the hub of our brand. If my opponent can't complete said technique, then I've set in motion as to neutralize my opponent.

Nothing more enjoyable than seeing that confounding look roll onto my opponents flushed face as my jamming sets my Tuite in an effective motion.

sensei8, this is excellent and I agree. It can also be called "stuffing." This is the approach many grapplers and wrestlers use as well...close the range quickly so that a striker can be neutralized...and Tuite is grappling at close range, so it works.

The exclamation of our brand of Tuite is that our goal is to get behind our opponent through angles and space management transitions; not many move effectively when their opponent, you/me, are behind them...and all the while jamming them to the nth degree with one set-up/checks after another.

Shindokan is quite adamant about many things, but right at the top of the list is...If you can't get behind them, then get out; you've no business being there in the first place.

The game of chess is at foot...or hands, as per our case.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Fat Cobra wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Jamming!!

The exclamation of our brand of Tuite is that our goal is to get behind our opponent through angles and space management transitions; not many move effectively when their opponent, you/me, are behind them...and all the while jamming them to the nth degree with one set-up/checks after another.

Shindokan is quite adamant about many things, but right at the top of the list is...If you can't get behind them, then get out; you've no business being there in the first place.

Interesting...the Tuite we do does not have us getting behind the opponent, however we do move laterally and angularly to get on the flank of the opponent, and out of their center line.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Cobra wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Fat Cobra wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Jamming!!

Interesting...the Tuite we do does not have us getting behind the opponent, however we do move laterally and angularly to get on the flank of the opponent, and out of their center line.

As we do as well, prior to transitioning behind our attacker because that is necessary to do on the way to getting behind my attacker. However, if the opportunity allows, then getting behind our attacker isn't necessary, even though that is our ultimate goal.

However, just what good is our ultimate goal of getting behind our opponent/attacker is I've not the effectiveness understanding of movement?! Getting behind an opponent/attacker isn't all that simple because my opponent/attacker doesn't want me behind her/him. Albeit, it can be just that simple once one understands the effectiveness of movement.

barefoot-kohai
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most effective technique...

1 - Avoid fight (As said above)

If not...

I heard this same question asked to my instructor long ago... What is the best thing to do in a dangerous situation?

He replied... What is the first thing that we do in class?

Kihon and solid techniques? - pupil replied

No, before that?

Warm up and stretching ? - said pupil

No, before... - sensei replied

Before that ... we run,... (in my language no difference between jog and run )

So the instructor replied: that's it... that's what you shall do when facing a serious threat... run!

It is really "un-martial"... but the truth is that the only winners in a war are these that remain alive when the war is over... no matter which side you were figthing for.

There is not a definitive and most efficient technique. As long that your opponents are varied and different, your approach has to be adapted to the circumstances. Silver bullets do not exist...

If such tecnique existed, what would be the good in developing a whole combat discipline if everything could be solved with a definitive misterious single technique?

So... learn a lot and "be water... my friend"

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Most Effective Karate Move Reply with quote

Chunmonchek wrote:
Fat Cobra wrote:

"Stomp the groin"

"Re-Stomp the groin."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: