Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ShotoSean
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan/MMA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
Trick questions/answers aside, answering just the exact question of a "move," and not something more broad:

A punch to the face.

There are lots of principles/concepts that can be used to deliver that punch to the face. There are lots of things you can do to make it more effective, or counter an opponent's defenses to ensure it lands, and so on, but when it comes right down to it, a punch to the face is probably the highest percentage fight-ender that exists in fighting, statistically.

Very True! All of the top Kumite Fighters rely on the counter gyaku-zuki. I’ve made a video demonstrating that and some drills to help with timing as well. Hope it helps! 🤙
https://youtu.be/26aZQI0yvV0

Age-Uke
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time reader, long time Karateka (Shotokan) Received my Shodan under Kase Sensai (dating myself) currently Sandan, Most of my years have been in training and teaching Kumite.

Uke waza would be my personal first choice.

There is no such thing as a block in karate, and IMO the road to mastery is rooted in understanding this key principle.

Uke waza is applicable for Go no Sen (Block and counter) Sen no Sen (attack the attack) and Sen Sen no Sen (Taking the initiative away. Attack before the attack.)

Uke waza is so fundamental in Karate and so many times I see poor "Non-Practical" uke waza even by veterans .. sometimes I even see internet videos teaching why Karate uke waza don't work.. ??? OMG! )

Being taught from the beginning an Age Uke is a rising block but also a forearm/elbow strike (empi uchi) at the Jodan and Chudan level (moving forward in kata denotes attacks.. (Heian Shodan, Pinan Nidan) really unlocks what the key concept of UKE waza is all about.

IMO really bring it all together.

Seeing the attack about to happen, Tai no sen with kime , you explode through your target with an Age Uke powered by all your combined weight and focus!

I wouldn't want to get hit by that by someone half my weight, let alone a 200 lb man like myself.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most effective karate move?

All of them!

Only to remember one principle.

When moving, for instance, defensively and then offensively, ebb and flow them together in to one unified motion; as in not to treat them as two or more separate things.

This synchronicity of combining motions, flowing together seamlessly, will make for the most effective karate move.

The apparent stopping and starting of techniques breaks the energy connection, however continuing with the momentum makes for a build up of energy that can facilitate more power and speed for the end result.

"The pauses you make during a technique, is what the opponent uses against you"

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

The apparent stopping and starting of techniques breaks the energy connection, however continuing with the momentum makes for a build up of energy that can facilitate more power and speed for the end result.

In Wado Ryu and japanese kenjutsu this jarring stop and start of movements is an aspect of itsuki. Itsuki is rendering yourself immobile.
Wado shares many principles with koryu jujutsu and kenjutsu where an opening for your sword wielding opponent is often catastrophic.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mushybees wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:

In Wado Ryu and japanese kenjutsu this jarring stop and start of movements is an aspect of itsuki. Itsuki is rendering yourself immobile.
Wado shares many principles with koryu jujutsu and kenjutsu where an opening for your sword wielding opponent is often catastrophic.
To be proficient at empty hand combat also study the way of the sword.

Could just as well be, "The way of the machete" just doesn't sound as good. LOL

In public I use the way of a broom handle, so as not to get shot by the local swat team. Big LOL

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most effective karate move, is the one that is appropriate for the situation.

pers
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most effective move is to put your opponent in a disadvantage and yourself in advantage to score or end the fight.

alexa_99
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Chen family Tai Chi, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most effective move is the one you practiced until you can do it swiftly and without thought.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Age-Uke wrote:
Long time reader, long time Karateka (Shotokan) Received my Shodan under Kase Sensai (dating myself) currently Sandan, Most of my years have been in training and teaching Kumite.

Uke waza would be my personal first choice.

There is no such thing as a block in karate, and IMO the road to mastery is rooted in understanding this key principle.

Uke waza is applicable for Go no Sen (Block and counter) Sen no Sen (attack the attack) and Sen Sen no Sen (Taking the initiative away. Attack before the attack.)

Uke waza is so fundamental in Karate and so many times I see poor "Non-Practical" uke waza even by veterans .. sometimes I even see internet videos teaching why Karate uke waza don't work.. ??? OMG! )

Being taught from the beginning an Age Uke is a rising block but also a forearm/elbow strike (empi uchi) at the Jodan and Chudan level (moving forward in kata denotes attacks.. (Heian Shodan, Pinan Nidan) really unlocks what the key concept of UKE waza is all about.

IMO really bring it all together.

Seeing the attack about to happen, Tai no sen with kime , you explode through your target with an Age Uke powered by all your combined weight and focus!

I wouldn't want to get hit by that by someone half my weight, let alone a 200 lb man like myself.

Hai! Good explanation! Karate no michi!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best karate move is the one that the opponent was never trained adequately enough to counter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: