Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Henry South
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: all of the above

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find a cresent kick or axe kick to the sholder perfect for the streets. a well placed axe kick to the neck or sholder will take down almost any opponent with some nasty side effects.

henry south
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't want to expose myself that much. Round kick to inner thigh, stomp kick to knee or ankle, or front kick to lower abdomen would be my first choice. Which one would depend on the stance of my opponent.

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-12-03 07:56, Henry South wrote:
i find a cresent kick or axe kick to the sholder perfect for the streets. a well placed axe kick to the neck or sholder will take down almost any opponent with some nasty side effects.

henry south

That reminds me of one of my old favourite kicks ; It starts as an inside crescent kick, stops before you reach the head of the opponent and snaps down into an axe kick into the opponents shoulder.

But for me, I'd probably go for the step forward side kick to knee cap....ouch

[ This Message was edited by: Jiggy9 on 2001-12-03 10:03 ]

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping back kicks, axe kicks, crescent kicks!?!?!? What's wrong with u people? Anyone who is trained and has even a single iota of sense will kick u (quite literally) in the * if u expose your back to them (back kick), and tackle/sweep u if u lift your leg to do a crescent/axe kick. I have a modified version of the spinning back kick that i use in four count leg combinations and i'd only use that if i'd landed some hits on the guy previously (most probably with roundhouses).

About the side kick though. One of the most beautiful kicks i've ever seen executed was buy a green belt in HapKiDo (now a black belt). He was sparring against the instructor (a second degree black) and was getting his butt kicked. He then went to do what looked like a low line thrusting kick to the hip, which drew the instructor's gurad down just enough for him to change the course of his kick, spin his hips around, and execute the most beautiful side kick to the head i have ever EVER seen. I just stood there and laughed cos i couldn't believe it.
By the end of the night though, the greenbelt was in major pain cos the instructor was also a purple belt in BJJ and did some flying takedown which accidentally fractured one of green belt's bones in his arm... Ah well..

Angus

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be really cool to get one up on sensei but not in the long run, Huh Angus.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well, i wouldn't have liked to have taken on the instructor. He's one of those people who are so intesnely dedicated to their training that it's almost scary. Even when he's being friend;y he's intimidating you... *shivers*

Angus

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the crescent kick has it's place in a street fight, if you possess the speed - but only in the right circumstances. But I agree with Angus I would be very weary of using it...

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, even if u had a good crescent kick, unless u needed to use it there r better and more accurate kicks that can be used. U leave yourself way too vulnerable if u use crescent kicks and spinning kicks though. I used to be a flashy fighter back in the day, back when i was fast and wiry like Bruce, but i only ever landed one good spinning hook which knocked the dude down, and even then i never used crescent kicks. Now i'm physically heavier and have more power in my basic strikes. Basics never fail if u know how to do them.

Angus

Henry South
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: all of the above

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would under normal sparring cercumstances respect and take on your point angus but if used in the street most "normal people" wouldnt have a clue what you are doing and the split second guard drop from a cresent kick wouldnt mean much outside dojo.
what i find most amusing is that untrained people often try and grab your leg while it is comming down from the axe or cresent kick with a bent arm this will proberly hurt there other arm more than the kick at the arm u have aimed at!
be that as it may if you can get a clear shot at there back kick them in the base of the spine with a side kick.
all good points and all would work congrats.

Henry South
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an inverted/twist front kick to the groin. My subonim can perform that move to someone's head. Not sure if it's effective on the street.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: