Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Mouth guard question Reply with quote

Recently I got tagged in the jaw and I didn't have my teeth clinched on my mouth guard. Well, it hurt! I couldn't touch my back teeth together for a day. I've been trying to practice clinching my teeth more... wearing my mouth guard for warm ups etc. I seem to be biting through the mouth guard. Am i biting too hard or is the mouth guard too cheap (I got a $3 clear jelly type guard).

Jeffrey
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the same clear jelly cheap mouth guard for a while but after getting hit in the jaw more then once I rethought this cheap piece of plastic. I ended up going to the dentist and getting one fitted for my mouth. It was a little pricey but worth every penny in the end.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Jeffrey's urging for a dentist made mouth piece. They are not cheap, but worth every penny. There are several types & thicknesses that one can get. From thinner for basketball to very thick for Boxing & MA. I would encourage you to get the thicker ones.

Then there are companies like this one: http://www.fightdentist.com/ who add a lot of flash to dentist-made mouth pieces.

Either way, $150 US is worth it for a mouth piece when the replacement costs can be three times that.

My $.02

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I had no idea you could get such a thing. I will check with my dentist. You are right; $150 is a drop in the bucket compared to having a tooth knocked out.

For my own information, can you describe your mouth guard – Is it top & bottom pieces or just a singular upper piece like I have now??? Does the dentist made mouth guard make is easier to take a hit if your teeth aren't clinched??? Is $150 a standard price???

Thanks!

Jeffrey
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Geo,

Mine is a top piece only and it fits so wel that if I don't have my teeth clinched it still makes taking the hit better than what I had. The nice thing about getting one this way is once the mold is done (which the major cost) getting a relacement guard is a lot less if you loss it. I paid $85 CAD for the mold (Thats $85.43 USD...couldn't help myself sorry) and then the guard was about $30.00 approx.

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had them made in both Illinois & California. $150 seems to be about the norm. I think even that website I gave you sells them for about that.

The best things I've found about them (apart from the great protection) is that one can breathe so much easier. I put mine in before sparring class starts & I can teach a whole class without ever removing it. I can talk & spar without fumbling with it.

All my best to you!

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey, thanks. BTW, I use the metric system any time i can LOL.

IcemanSK, you answered my next question. What started me on this quest to get a better mouth guard was a HARD shot to the jaw. My face felt out of line for 2 days. I think the problem was that I was opening my mouth trying to suck in air when i got hit. Being able to wear a mouth guard and breath after I started panting would be great.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dentist made is definitely the way to go. Mine's saved me from concussion and lost teeth several times. Got my first one free off the NHS Had to pay about £70 for the second (think that's about $110) but its well worth the money. Cheaper than dental work and doctors bills if you do take a hit badly.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mouth guard is something you don't go cheap on. I use Shock Doctor mouth pieces with great success. I use the dna model it's about $20 to $25 but worth the mouth piece. But I would have to believe the denist made mouth guards would have to be the best because of the custom fit. No matter house much a store bought mouth piece costs could compare to a mold pulled directly off your own mouth. Just remember you get what you pay for.

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading everyones posts I feel foolish for not getting a better mouth guard sooner. I'm calling my dentist ASAP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Equipment and Gear All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: