Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With every movement and no matter the level of ones experience; there's always a chance to learn!!

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think part of that comes out of the ideology of the ards. Gongfu is perfection over time with effort, and they focus a lot on perfecting their movement, posture, and suchlike. The IMA (taiji, bagwa, hsingyi, other less known) do this to a particular extreme. Karate stylists seem, from what little i've seen more focused on immediate results and learning things that just work, and work right away. There are those who are more extreme with that, too.
Different arts focus on different things. Aikido has a different flavor of movement which is also not at all jerky; it's Japanese and comes out of sword work rather than a boxing type base.
The stuff I do focuses on movement to a great extent as well and likewise is very smooth - some teachers focus on perfecting movement more than others. The ones that don't tend not to have very old students, I suspect. I tend to obsess over getting movements right and stress free, personally. But I recognize that I can't stamp 'perfect movement' into someone, since it's a laboratory process. On the other hand, I don't mind saying the equivalent of "Today, we're going to work on our basic stance transition.. by maintaining it for an hour." The serious internal gongfu people make me feel downright softcore when I do things like that when they talk about their training exercizes. "walked in a circle in a low stance transition for four hours", "stood in (insert chinese ideogram here) for three hours, before class"..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: