Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Moving association Reply with quote

I won't say anything bad and name an org/assoc but for certain reasons we are thinking of moving, we want insurance, policies to follow, guidance if needed and somewhere to recognise our grades, also to grade seniors without having to jump through burning hoops and pay a fortune.
I think the last straw was the threat of having an instructors licence revoked because they haven't done a certain expensive course, even though they are good instructors, also having to tell our teen Shodans that they will now have to go back a grade when they become adults.

Anyway, enough of the bad bits, all we want is an org/assoc that will give us what we need at a reasonable price, loves Karate as much as we do but not force stupid rules on us.

Just a note that we consider our clubs to be a very high standard, we are proud of what we do and how we do it.

So there are plenty to choose from, please can you let us know who is best and why.

JGarner890
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Dang "Tang" Soo Do Union. I'm currently trying to join, but I need my certificates of 1st and 2nd Dan, and currently in Afghanistan so it's not so easy. They allow you to teach your own curriculum in your school. No politics from what I can see either.

If you're not a Tang Soo Do practitioner, but you're style is Korean, check out the International Association of Korean Martial Arts. They are the same as the WDU. You're allowed to teach your curriculum and no politics.

I'm not sure on the prices of either, but wouldn't hurt to check them out. Hope this helps!

TANG SOO!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you wanting a governing body that's more universal? By universal, that said governing body wouldn't be for one style, Shotokan, for example, but will cover ALL styles of Karate.

Trading one governing body for another only, at times, and imho, only allow a practitioner to replace one set of pro and cons for another because every governing body has them, pros and cons/rules and regulations.

The grass isn't always better on the other side of the fence.

quinteros1963
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Martial Arts (Goju Ryu & Shotokan)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Are you wanting a governing body that's more universal? By universal, that said governing body wouldn't be for one style, Shotokan, for example, but will cover ALL styles of Karate.

Trading one governing body for another only, at times, and imho, only allow a practitioner to replace one set of pro and cons for another because every governing body has them, pros and cons/rules and regulations.

The grass isn't always better on the other side of the fence.

I agree!
The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on where you go it will always be difficult.

In Australia we have a National Federation for Karate, which is recommended that all schools join. But it is not a requirement for schools to do as some can just do their own styles federation.

For Instance Shotokan one Branch is the JKA so some shotokan schools can just be a part of that.

Otherwise with the AKF (Australian Karate Federation) the availability of tournaments (and being selected for the national squad) and others can help. Also it means that your school can be seen and fairly compared to others.

And the AKF do not go out to tell you what you have to teach according to your style. They will help when needed and support the school for advice.

But with individual associations that are small and specific it can often be restrictive in what you teach. But some like what was mentioned before can just let you teach you what you like.

So maybe have a look around at associations. But not all associations will offer insurance etc. But many will suggest insurance companies that offer a reasonable price. And even membership some will require only a minimal price according to the number of students that you have

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the end we settled for the EKF but as predicted we had a few other cons...
i have since split from the club and formed my own, i found a really good org called IMASA who are fantastic and provide insurance, guidance, certs, books etc all without the politics and at a great price.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mal103 wrote:
In the end we settled for the EKF but as predicted we had a few other cons...
i have since split from the club and formed my own, i found a really good org called IMASA who are fantastic and provide insurance, guidance, certs, books etc all without the politics and at a great price.

Good to hear, hopefully things will be as you expected, or better. Having said that, I do want to say that no matter what the governing body says and/or appears to be, politics will be there in some form or another, and if you're not part of the administration of the AMASA, you'll be subjected to their politics. They might not be there that you can see, but they're there, and when that ugly head rears, it can be disappointing in more ways than one.

I've not seen nor ever heard of a MA governing body that's without any politics!! Hopefully, IMASA will be that exception!!

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good:

http://www.independentmartialartsportsassociation.co.uk/

wagnerk
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mal103 wrote:
So far so good:

They've got very good reviews An up and coming association that I've also heard good reviews about is BMABA

-Ken

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mal103 wrote:
So far so good:

I still just don't know. When there are rules and regulations and the like abound, politics aren't far away/behind. I pray I'm wrong!!

Imho!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: