Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Muay Thai and combinations. Reply with quote

My Taekwondo guys always complained that I don't throw enough kicking combos, taking power away from the first shot in order to do a sequences of kicks. I do not possess the light feet and flexibility to do that however.

My question is if Muay Thai instructors are more lenient on this matter?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Muay Thai and combinations. Reply with quote

Prototype wrote:
My Taekwondo guys always complained that I don't throw enough kicking combos, taking power away from the first shot in order to do a sequences of kicks. I do not possess the light feet and flexibility to do that however.

My question is if Muay Thai instructors are more lenient on this matter?

Isn't Muay Thai also called kick boxing?

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

CDraper
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started taking Muay Thai and have a TKD/Karate back ground. I think you will be ok, just through more combos combing hands and feet. I've not seen long strings of kicking combos (yet).

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So kicking combos tend to be rare in Muay Thai by comparison but I’ll explain why.

Throwing a kick potentially puts you in a bad position because you’re on one leg. As such you want to make sure your kick is “worth it.” In this sense it means power.

If you throw kicks without power (and by power I mean the intent of breaking someone in half) you’re opponent won’t respect them and will look to walk through them and drop powerful combos on you when you do.

If you mixed up your weaker kicks with powerful ones the require your opponent respect them
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: