Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt that, for example, a 7 star praying mantis kungfu dude could beat a Muay Thai guy, but i don't think that's the point. Muay Thai has mastered the basics, fair and plane. I've done lots of crosstraining in various martial arts from all over the world and from what i've seen of Muay Thai they have managed to do the fundamental thing that many martial arts don't teach: MASTER THE BASICS.

The Thai roundhouse has unbeatable power, not saying that the karate style doesn't hurt, just that it doesn't hurt as much as the Thai style. I'm fully willing to admit that Muay Thai has influenced my fighting style a lot.

If u were going to do a NHB thing or something then the bane of Muay Thai is going to be strongest found in the grappling arts. BJJ for example, this art rocks.
That's why u find a lot of MT blokes crosstraining in BJJ.

I reckon that Muay Thai is the best art for the basics of martial arts. I alkso think that this argument comes up far too often.

Angus

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not the style which is better, it is the Martial Artist.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2001 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello.
Iron Arahat.. which style or styles do you train??.. I think you say that before but i don't remember. lol
I must take its a chinese style or something.
And thanks for your support.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2001 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, boxing is great for punching also, boxing has influenced martial arts very much. Brazillain jujitsu has awaken the world to the power of grappling. Martial arts and people are influenced by that which works. This is why karateka and chinese people have adapted boxing, bjj and muay thai.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2001 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I study shaolin kung-fu...and it influenced boxing, muay thai, karate, bjj, and more...

BlueDragon
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2001 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all Kyokushin schools follow the guidelines set forth by the governing bodies.
The dojo I attend only has 12 katas and they are used mainly as a warm up. We do hit the face and grappling is perfectly legal.

All the differences has led to problems at larger tournaments. One of our guys or gals would walk onto the mat break someone's nose since the other person wasn't expecting it. Also chest protectors are mandatory for every one fifteen and under. It's really fun watching someone who just turned sixteen get plowed over by roundhouse in the first couple of seconds.

havoc
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2001 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone who can't see that the world has embraced muaythai concepts is living with blinders on.
the chinese san shou camps are bringing thai trainers over to china to train them. how can this be taken anyother way.
the biggest kickboxing event in kickboxing,the one that packs 70,000 ppl into this event every year,not to mention the smaller events held thru out the year,K-1, look at the back grounds of all the fighters and tell me what most have in common. thai kicks.
i have seen chinese sanda fighters wearing muaythai shorts fighting with no pads,checking leg kicks.the pictures are on ax. this is an observation.and when the thai v.s. japan,or china fights happened back in the day, the thais rarely lost.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2001 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard this all before...The Chinese San Shou training camp bit is new, and I'd like to know who and where instead of such a general statement (or basically I think you've got a big shovel).

To think that low kicks have just come into the picture is comical. You call them thai kicks because of your realm of knowledge.

"Thai's rarely lost..." there is contradicting stories out there...and I myself have beaten Thai fighters playing by their rules...but in the scheme of things this means Jack...I'm sure a good skilled Karateka or Tae Kwon Do guy could beat a Thai boxer or visa versa.

As for the shorts it's a silly point...who cares what you wear... I wear shorts when I compete, but no thai writting on them only chinese...

And just for the record San Shou never uses pads except in amatuer bouts.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have beaten Thai fighters using THEIR RULES" - gees, i find that funny for someone who is arguing the fact that thai boxing has not influenced much.

Enough of this, guys, each to his own now - let's just leave each to his own.

Angus

havoc
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the low kick is to muaythai, what trapping is to wingchun.
i have worked with a wingchun practitioner who indeed told me that they kicked to the legs, but not in the way the thais do.
and you're right, thousands each year travel to china to train, and learn their awesome kicking tech.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: