Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2001 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,
I have posted many questions about Thai boxing training because We don't have a gym to train in here in my country.
I was reading That many kyokushin karate fighters have done very very well in muay thai rules fights. That the kyokushin fighters have gone toe to toe with muay thai fighter doing very well.
So i was think that maybe if i train in kyokushin karate I'll be ready for a future Muay Thai training instead of training by myself.
What do you think?.. Thanks.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best advice is go and watch the class, I don't really know much about the Kyokushin style specifically. I would watch to see that they allow kicks below the waist.

I know some styles of karate also train throws, elbows, and knees.

Events such as the Sabaki Challange permit the above noted techniques. Also look at the K-1 several karateka's have had good success fighting under K-1 rules.

havoc
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the kyokushin style of karate has a thai influence in it. it does allow kicks below the waist.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visit http://www.uskyokushin.com/ for more information. The style traces it's linage back to Shaolin an Bhodidarma.

It appears to be influenced by Kempo style karate, and judo.

No link to thai-boxing

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyokushinkai fighters started to train like Thai-boxers in the recent years and have adapted many Muay Thai techniques. It's very obvious just by watching how they do their techniques as compared to 20 years ago.
" Mas Oyama would observe those from other styles and adopt any techniques that would be useful in a fight. "
Some people are still in denial that Muay Thai has influenced many, many martial arts in the last decade. Other systems that have adapted Muay Thai technique are Shotokan, Seidokaikan and San Shou, just to name a few. There is nothing wrong with the adaptation of Muay Thai into their systems, I just wish they wouldn't deny it. Muay Thai has adapted western boxing into it, it's made Muay Thai even more formidable. I guess it's a nationalistic pride thing that keeps these other systems from admitting the Thai influence of their martial art systems.

Kyokushinkai will teach you how to kick and punch, but they will also give you much information and techniques that are useless, in my opinion. They'll teach you kata, board breaking and other methods of training that I feel are not very good. But maybe you'll find a Kyokushinkai school that is pretty good, check it out, you'll never know unless you try.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go out training in Kyokushinkai to get ready for Muay Thai, you should consider that Kyokushinkai has very "different" rules.

They don't wear gloves or head-gear. Mouthpiece and cup is required.

Any hand, elbow or head strike to the head area is illegal.
Grabbing is illegal.

There you go. If you can't hit the head and train that way, then you'll be really hurting when entering a Muay Thai competition. Keep that in mind. Also, the clinch is a very big part of Muay Thai fighting, so that type of training is crucial.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about how karate offers useless things...

I just recently quit Goju Ryu karate after i got so annoyed with it. Kata kata kata, it is seriously the weakest fighting style i have EVER come across. I've spat the dummy now and i'm going back to my beloved kickboxing - i'm starting Muay Thai next week. It's some stupid arrogant pride or something that makes these people think that the traditional way of doing things is always right. They never venture out of their field and they never see what is wrong with their particlar style. I've been corsstraining since i was 6, and that makes 12 years of my life that io've been doing this stuff, and never have i come across a more closed minded group of people. They would seriously take up 'cat stance' in sparring, cos most of them had never done a martial art before. Plus of course they have never fought anyone outside of the karate circuits because it's against the rules or something. I scared the pitiful bunch crap-less when i went tot he first sparring session. They didn't know what was going on.
Sure some people practice martial arts for the artistic side of it, and i'm friends with the female world number 6 kata champion, but i have no reservations when i say kata is useless. It's a waste of time - i'd much rather hit the heavy bag...

Sorry about the rant, i just needed to vent that.
Angus

- Angus Argyle

[ This Message was edited by: Angus on 2001-09-13 14:45 ]

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on Angus, Keep on training!! Let the ignorant stay in their prisons of tradition. It just makes it easier for us to beat them.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go check out the info at the site SubmissionFighter, go watch a class, and see if it is what you want. You be the judge. It's not what other people think is good, that matters. Ever style has strengths, and also has weaknesses.

It's good to see that you have found what you want to do now Angus.

Say this influenced that, is just a "chicken egg" argument, based on opinions.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and watched a class..
They have more contact sparring, Yes... but that was the only thing they were doing diferent from other karate schools i have seen.
they did lots of katas.. I was talking with one of the students and he told me they have more than 36 Katas even more Than Shotokan karate... It's just one more Karate style.
So, No, its not for me.. But thanks for the information Iron. havoc And Ken .. and good luck Angus at least you have lucky to have all those diferents schools near so you can switch as you please. lol
hey, thaiboxerken. why don't you come to Panama and give us a Muay Thai seminar??. lol
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: