Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Muay Thai/ Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Muay Thai fighter, looking to learn karate.Educate me. Reply with quote

Hi there, long time martial artist, first time poster...first I want to give some information on my experience as a martial artist to get an understanding of what I know/coming from, and to the admin, i'm not really sure if this is the appropriate form due to the various martial arts topic this covers, and sorry in advance if so.

I stared off training Tae Kwon Do...and while it was ok, I didn't like the lack of target areas, and the very linear, in and out sparring. didn't feel practical and too limiting.

I eventually got into boxing, after the tae kwon do school shut down. I loved it, but ultimately, the reason I got into martial arts/boxing, is I wanted to be a kickboxer and MMA fighter.

I eventualy switched, and started training muay thai. I did this for about 5-6 years and is what I have most my training.

Due to hardships, gym fees, and the cost of driving an hour each way to learn muay thai, I had to quit training.

so with that, i've decided to switch to karate, since I can learn it for free, since my long time friend runs a dojo, and I can learn boxing for free with my friend who is an MMA fighter and golden gloves Champ.

Ultimately, I still want to be a kickboxer... so i've thought about combining my boxing training with my karate, and essential do what the dutch did for their kickboxing.

As most of you know, the base for that was kyokushin....there is no oyama style karate gym in my area, only shotokan...and here is my question/point of the post:

I really don't know the diffrence between shotokan and kyokushin, other then kyokushin fighters train very hard like thai fighters, and spar/fight full contact, where as shotokan do not.

Other then the training style, and the way they fight, what are the diffrences between shotokan and kyoksuhin other than that? Are the techniuques the same?

My idea is, learn shotokan, but train it hard, in the vain of kyokushin and muay thai...would that actually work for full contact fighting?

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotokan can be as hard as Kyokushin in some Dojo's so don't dismiss it.

Kyokushin, Ashihara, Enshin, Daido Juku or Seidokan etc would be a good start for Karate styles to learn which are not too distant from Muay Thai, I know loads of people who train in both

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ty sir! I wanted to start of doing kyokushin or a form of Oyama karate, but there isn't anythign like that in my area sadly

Dobbersky
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Black Tiger Ashihara Karate Jutsu, Japanese Kickboxing, Cheng Man Ch'ing TaiChi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrissyp wrote:
ty sir! I wanted to start of doing kyokushin or a form of Oyama karate, but there isn't anything like that in my area sadly

Update your profile with your location, I'll ask my friends of a dojo, the list Kyokushin, Ashihara, Enshin, Daido Juku or Seidokan etc all do knockdown. If you were in my area I would be honoured for you to train with me at my Dojo
Also if there's any knockdown events on going attend them and ask the organisers if any clubs are from your area.

Also Forums such as Kyokushin4Life and others will help you

Good luck

Last edited by Dobbersky on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that with your past training experience in Muay Thai and Boxing, then you should be able to learn Karate, and after a time, start tailoring things to train the way you want to for Kickboxing and MMA. You'll likely do some learning on the fly in competitions and what not, but I think you'll get to where you want to be.

Best of luck to you!

Kruczek
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Karate, Jujitsu, Krav Maga

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karate, especially Shotokan, is a bit deeper stances than Muay Thai, but I think you will find a happy medium for yourself. Definitely don't dismiss it as not being as tough as Kyokushin - it will all be what you make of it.

Karate sparring can be a knock down drag out match or it can be that in and out style of techniques you mentioned you had in TKD. Will largely depend on the school.

Worst case scenario, learn the techniques, but don't do the sparring if it isn't enough like the kick boxing you want to do.

Best of luck.

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the style that the man is in...its the man that is in the style.

I know of kick boxers that are so weak in fighting skills that they could not fight their way out of a paper bag...a wet one at that. And same with Karate...but I also know guys from both back grounds that are killers in fights.

Also, its not what your instructor can do...its what your instructor can get you to do.. explain your situation to the instructor and learn from them. Worst case is that you get a good work out in and have to do a bit of self learning.

chrissyp
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the information. So many good points! I think the biggest thing with me, which most Thai boxers, is they're so caught up in their "style" that they shut out the idea that other styles and methods can be effective. The key to this I think is keeping and open mind

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karate will have a lot to offer that a combat sport like Thai boxing does not. First off it has Kata. and no matter what others say about Kata and how its bunk ext. it offers a great work out, good relaxation and imprints techniques in your mind pretty well.

Also, angles...not just moving in and out. Its easier on the body for long term training (meaning old farts like me) and it offers a long term fitness trend you can follow that Thai boxing...well not so much.

Dont get me wrong, I respect Muay Thai and even like watching matches when then they are on late night shows...and even have a few students that went on to kick box, but they are different.

Focus on what your style does NOT have not what it has. You will be a better martial artist for it.

guird
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: BJJ, MMA, Gongkwon Yusul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Shotokan dojos do train with hard contact, though most don't. the rulesets are very limited in these semicontact dojos, but if you combine it with boxing you should be able to work it out. Shotokan CAN work full contact, (lyoto machida is the famous example, though I've heard of others), but you do have to make it work. It also really depends on the dojo.

In terms of style differences, shotokan has deeper stances in the katas (though those are not fighting stances, more for developing leg strength and explosiveness). It also tends to be more crisp, while kyokushin katas are a little more fluid. Shotokan is primarily mid-long range fighting, you'll only train a handful of close range techniques.

One thing that it will give you is a really fast straight punch from the rear hand. That's never a bad thing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: