Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ShadowSkill
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the different kinds of kicks that Muay thai practitioners do they usually employ? do they have like jumping kicks and flying kicks? can someone tell me ill greatly appreciate it! thanks

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no Muay Thai practicioner myself, but the style of Muay Thai's kicks are more orientated around low, basic, yet efffective kicks for maximun result. They don't employ the flashy kicks you detailed. Muay Thai is a very down to earth, realistic fighting system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muay thai is known for is crushing kicks.. They are not at all flashy, or jumpy. Muay thai practioners kick with their shins and really turn their hips into the kick generating a lot of power. Basic front kick, lead foot, back foot, thigh kick, lead, back, roundhouse, lead and front, side kick, lead and back are probably the kicks primarily used.. They also make use of knees and elbows.. It can be pretty brutal

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not an experienced Muay Thai person by any means, but from what I've read there are only two major kicks in Muay Thai that are primarily used (although I am sure that there are a variety of other variations and low sweeping type kicks to the knees, legs, joints, etc.). I am also pretty sure that flying kicks and spinning kicks are almost nonexistent in Muay Thai, either that or they are pretty much nonexistent in all matches. Once again I hesitate to make sweeping statements. Those two primary kicks would be the front push kick and the roundhouse kick. The front push kick can be used for defense as well as to gain distance between yourself and the opponent (kind of like a front thrust kick, not snap), and the roundhouse kick is not chambered and instead is just brought straight up from the ground into the side of the opponent like a battering ram. The kick carries all the way through and after the peak the arc follows a bit downward after the leg (stretched out) has passed (either hit or missed) the target. Once again, this is from a Muay Thai layperson's point of view

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well their is lot's of muay thai kicks
like from front kicks to side kicks to spinning kicks to jumping kicks

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side kick and Jumping kicks too? Hmm I was not aware of that. Actually I remember reading somewhere that Muay Thai has spin kicks in its repertoire but I couldn't be sure. I just always thought that the practitioners tried to stay out of the air and omitted any risky impractical kicking maneuvers (although what is not used in matches does not necessarily mean that it does not exist in the style). I suppose that the opportunity can arise for any type of technique in the ring, if you are able to anticipate or see it.

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no side kicks in Muay Thai - modern Thai Boxers may have incorporated it from other arts but Muay Thai does not use it. There are a few spinning kicks but not many. The front kick & round kick are the main kicks, and there are many variations of each - I teach three different front kicks and seven different round kicks from Muay Thai.

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops..... double post :grin:

[ This Message was edited by: YODA on 2002-02-23 23:25 ]

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seven different types of round kick?!! Hey Yoda wow when u have time I would like to hear your perspective/insight/knowledge concerning that, hehehehe. I only can think of four specific ways and that is even me being creative

ShadowSkill
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have rented Van Damme's movie Bloodsport today! cuz i really want to know about Muay tHai and it was way cool!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: