Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain the mechanics involved in the horizontal knee strike to the side of the ribs while in the clinch. I've seen this done many atimes during televised matches, and would like to know the mechanics of delivering power with the strike. Thanks!

BTW I described it as a horizontal knee strike because that is how it looked to me, but if it isn't then I stand corrected!!

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curve Knee - right, here goes.

This is a close range strike usually done from the plum (Thai clinch)

With both hands around the opponents neck, swing your leg back & out to the side, shin vertical. Then hop with your standing leg in the direction of the strike as you use your hips to swing the inside of your knee into the target. The target can vary from the ribs, kidney, thigh or even head depending on what you are doing with your arms at the time. The hop across is crucial as this is what generates much of the power - it's a very deceiving strike - hurts a lot more than it looks!

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoda,

Thanks for the information. I always knew that this knee strike would be painful if on the receiving end. I was not sure how the power was generated, as I never noticed the "hop" that you mentioned!! I will give it a try

zulu
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The knee as described is a brutal kick, will usually break a rib or two even if not performed at full power. must be performed carefully even when sparring, actually where i train this kick is thrown differently in sparring to avoid injury it just comes up straight and lightly taps the ribs. of course later at full power with bags

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a muay thai dude, but I do pull the opponent in towards the knee as I'm bringing the knee up with the 'hop', it gets there quicker and hurts a lot more compared to just bringing the knee up to a stationary target. I bring the knee up at a 45 degree angle and I put my head back so I don't get hit in the head.

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: