Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah especially "masters" under thiry years old..how are these guys learning all these styles..do they just have them downloaded like in THE MATRIX?

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I KNOW KUNG FU"

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno about masters.. but I am adept in several systems of martial arts to a "black belt" level or higher. I train them all in conjunction and many times, i don't even know what system I'm in when I am using them. It's all blended into my being and, in a way, i have created my own "system". That's what JKD is all about.

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i understand the concept of jkd..but you got these guys opening schools professing to be masters of several styles and then theres all these other guys running around claiming to have trained with bruce or dan...doesent anyone check credentials anymore or do they just take the guys word for it

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the hardest things to do anymore.. check a person's credentials. I guess the best thing to do is to check what a person is actually teaching and make your decision from that. It's really hard for a beginner to do. Oh well, I rarely take anyone that calls themselves "master" seriously anyway. Most of the "masters" i've trained with never call themselves such, it's the students that give them the title.

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2001 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would be a great benifit to the quality of martial arts instruction in america if there where established an organization that would handle OFFICIAL licensing of instructors the way it is required of doctors,dentist ,phsycologist ..e.t.c....

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been studying karate for a limited time and my instructor has already had me teach the new students some of the basic punches kicks and blocks. I do not believe that I am ready to teach full time. I believe that only black belts with over 5 years experience as a black belt should own their own dojo. It may be the only way to know that an instructor actually knows what they're doing. As a side note I acknowledge that teaching self teaching tool becasue when you correst the students mistake you are able to notice the things that you may be doing wrong and you yourself will become better until the point of mastery at the basics.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2001 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masters of multiple martial arts hmmmmmm. I really don't know if one person could adequately teach many differing types of the martial arts. It would be a unique school though with the facilities for qualified instructors in differing arts to teach under the same roof in the same school. With the clear understanding that each instructor had their special area.

Actually I find I enjoy learning an occasional kata from a different style. My sensei knows I do that. He is fine with the idea as long as I am not trying to do a foriegn kata in front of other students while warming up before class.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was blk/brwn, the head instructor (a legitimate master in our art) always gave us limited exposure to instructing portions of class. He wanted to make sure that before he promoted us to black (the minimum requirement in our art to open your own sactioned school) we had experience at instructing others. It was really a good system.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: