Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Iron Arahat
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We see alot of the multiple-black belt, instructor in several styles. My question to all when should someone start teaching? What qualifies someone as an instructor?

I have seen some guys as soon as they turn to a black belt open a school...I've seen guys who teach karate one minute then teach kung-fu the next...

Also what do you think about some of these places that offer weekend seminars to become instructors? Personally I've seen guys offer seminars to civilians to become a law enforcement self-defense instructor...under the premise that you can contract yourself out.

What do you all think?

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a person should start teaching as soon as they have as little as 6 months experience. It helps a student grow if he is teaching also. As far as becoming a "full instructor" then that is something subjective to the school. My instructor gave me the thumbs up right after I got black belt, but then there are those that have been black-belt a while that he doesn't let teach. I guess it has to do with teaching ability coupled along with technical skill.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A person could be ready to teach at a white belt level. A teacher is not only a person who knows the techniqualities, but can be a role model and an example to others. I could tell you not to steal and be the biggest theif on the planet. I could say treat women with respect and it could turn out I was a rapist. It depends on the person.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for those of you unfortunate enough to view an obsence posting under my name i apologize..i had left my computer open at work and someone thought it was funny..they will not think it was funny when i find out who it was..again my appologies

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point being a black belt does not automatically make you a teacher...you have to have the charcater the patitience and understanding as well as the technical ablities to become an instructor..i know plenty of guys who are great fighter..some great forms preformers....but they cant teach to save thier lives..this is a common misconception that any back belt is also an instructor as far as instruction goes as long as the person is capable under supervision to teach..up until 4th dan then he may open his own school ...

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my class everyone helps everyone, so theoretically everyone is the teacher...and that way the whole class are very close to one another...when new people join they are helped by everyone of a higher rank and it makes them feel welcomed into the class. Also, you are forced to open up...and it helps combat shyness if you have to give orders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2001 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is also true. A school or club has no life. It is its students and teachers who give it the uniqueness that is enstilled in all clubs, whether it is for better or worse.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Valn
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clubs that claim a certain style should teach their style and not mix different arts.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself teaching the guys at Karate some of the kickboxing and BJJ moves that i have learned. I'm only a white belt there at the moment but i can still kick their *...

Angus

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe on been a master of one styles and have a solid knowlege of other styles, and combine them and create your own system for fighting..
What i'm not agree is a person claims being a master on several styles of martial arts. You can have multiple belts in several styles, but when you fight, you fight with a combination of techinques flowing from one to another.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: