Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the follow through is very important when punching (tranferring energy to) an object. However, the technique is of equal importance because the same two punches delivered at different angles will not yield the same results.
The problem with this topic is that it's a rather complex union between human physiology and physics. Like Piastre said, the physics aspect is somewhat boring to describe. And they would be easier to explain if it was concentrating on just an accelerating mass (like a bullet) being measured at an instant (velocity and energy). But now throw in body mechanics of two individuals (persons delivering and receiving the punch) and everything changes a little.

Piastre
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly.
It is a very complex system, where the "target", ie somebody's head for example, is moving.
This makes the change in momentum of the entire system, not just the punchers' fist, difficult to determine.
Other factors also come into play in determining the effectiveness of a blow, such as whether the blow was "slipped", did it land flush, the angle is was delivered from and where on the target did it land.

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously muscle does play a huge part, if mostly all, in producing power, but as you said piastre, -there are other factors which produce power,
you always find the odd one, like mcgee said to me, people who are not that tall , dont look that strong, but they are incredibly strong and and powerful, this is because he was a very wirey person, im sure you guys have seen the odd person who doesnt look that big but it just seems that his whole body and that every muscle in his body is fully tensed up at all time, i imagined it would have been the same case for Bruce Lee, that why it always got me confused, peoples apperance whether being big or tall doesnt really have a impact in changing strength, and what i really want to find out WHY this is

http://www.selfdefencehelp.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: