Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
She's said several times that she doesn't want to go. After some Jedi-like questioning on my part, it's because she's bored for that hour. Once she's on the floor, she loves it. I've got to figure out a way for her to not lose interest because of the waiting around.

I have that same issue. Once she is there and doing things she has fun. Sometimes parents have to make the decision for them.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
She's said several times that she doesn't want to go. After some Jedi-like questioning on my part, it's because she's bored for that hour. Once she's on the floor, she loves it. I've got to figure out a way for her to not lose interest because of the waiting around.

I have that same issue. Once she is there and doing things she has fun. Sometimes parents have to make the decision for them.

I just want to be sure she's there for herself and not for me. My wife is a bit too lax when it comes to making her go. Then again, my wife never played sports or did MA or the like. When my wife starts telling Kathryn it's ok if she stays home, I tell my wife that if she doesn't want to be there when she's actually at the dojo I'll stop bringing her.

It's a delicate balance. Not forcing her to go, but at the same time not letting her think she can show up if she doesn't have anything better to do. There's some days when she's tired due to a long week; I have no problem with that. There's also no off-season like there is with sports. And she's not even 6 yet. But watching her on the floor, there's no doubt that she likes it. Once I'm done with class, I go into the locker room and get her gi top and belt. She's always excited to start. She's never once said she wanted to go home instead of taking class. When I can bring her on a day when i don't have class, there's never been an issue. Once all that changes, I'll stop bringing her.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: