Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Seth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Traditional Jiu-Jitsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 5:53 am    Post subject: My first lesson... Reply with quote

I just had my first lesson Jiu Jitsu, and it was way better then I expected it to be. I loved it. I am now officialy a white belt, just waiting for my suit (that thing is called a gi right? ) to arrive, together with the belt.

All I was allowed to do is practice falling with three other guys who were new to martial arts and do some basic moves to understand what Jiu Jitsu was about.

I have quite a diverse group, of about ten people. One brown belt, one blue belt, two yellow and a few white ones. Most of them will be one yellow or higher within a few weeks I reckon, since they all practiced Judo, Aikido or both a lot.

Man, I am so excited about the second lesson. A pity I only have one per week .

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.

I know the feeling. I am hoping to have more lessons per week. But I dont want to offend my Sensei by going to other dojo's. Its only because like you sound Seth, just an egerness to learn.

I count myself very lucky in that I have one of the best teachers in the Aikido world. my class is mainly black belts, 3 whites and a few middle colours.

Make sure that you get the Ukemi (break falling) right, because you cant train with the advanced techniques until you can fall without breaking a leg.

Take Care

Seth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not yet been introduced to the names of all the techniques, locks and falls, but all I have been able to practice until thus far are a sort of rolling fall and some techniques on what to do when someone holds you by the shoulder. For example one was hitting the wrist of your opponent with the knife-side of one hand, holding the other one on top of the hand you hit with, and then step back. However, I should only use that if the other guy keeps on doing so. The first few times I should just push him away, or wave his hand off.

It is really cool to learn all about the 'mechanics of the body' as my sensei calls it. I just feel very new to all of this, since most of the people in my group have extensive background in Judo or Aikido (most of them hold a brown belt in Judo or even better). I am not very quick in picking everything up, so I will probably be not as fast in reaching the next belt as all of the others, but what counts for me is that I am learning to use my body better. I never thought I was able to dive over two people sitting crouched and break my fall by rolling over my head, but I was .

Man, I love this sport .

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth, congratulations! It sounds like you are getting the fever! Keep us posted on your progress.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of Jiu-Jitsu (Or JuJitsu, Jujutsu, whatever :-p let's not play semantics) are you taking? Kensai is right....breakfalling is one of the most important things you will ever learn. Good luck - IMHO being a white belt is great because you have an excuse to mess up and look great every time you win in sparring!
Girls kick butt!

Seth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one way of looking at a white belt. I am just proud to be a white belt, to be involved in Jiu Jitsu. I have actually no clue what type it is, and I still need to figure out my Sensei's rank. He has a black belt, but I am not sure about his Dan.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow its been 9 almost 10 months since my first lesson but i still remember the feeling. well done with your rolling breakfalls!
what style do you study?
you can find out what dan your sensei is by looking at the stripes on his belt.

Taokara
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Break falling to not get hurt and rolling out of moves in grappling is veryy importent. Do not let your ego get in the way or you will get hurt. Also allways tap out when you feel pain. I hope you have a good time in your ju jitsu classes

moobrack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seth,
Im glad to hear that you like ju jitsu - the breakfalling is compulsory for the first couple of lessons - it helps you not to hurt yourself when doing the throws and lock techniques.

They are also fun *dives on massive blue mat and does a rolling breakfall*

Wait till you get to yellow belt (like me) everything seems to open up to you. More variety is good
www.universaldojo.com Coming Soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

Seth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of like the break-falling. Makes me feel all flexible, which I definitely am not.
By the way, what does the kyu stand for?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: