Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: My flying side kick (picture) Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/QJrm6Di.jpg

I am training for my 1st Dan black belt pattern, Choong Moo.A bit rusty.

Opinions?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the picture wouldn't come up. But, I do have thoughts on this kick in general.

First off, the run isn't what's important. When I do this kick, I take the two steps, and instead of thinking about really going forward, I tend to use the steps to start "bounding," and then when reach the jump, I really throw the kicking leg up hard, and focus on jumping up instead of forward.

Now, the kick. Really focus on tucking that trailing leg. It helps make the kick look higher than it might actually be, and if you really pull that leg up and back into that tuck position, it helps you lock the hip of your kicking into position for that nice "pose" we all like to see. And its functional and powerful that way.

Finally, the landing. When I land, I land on the trail leg with the kicking leg in the rechamber position, then chamber my blocks, then set the foot down and block strong, finishing in a good stance.

Hope that helps. If you can somehow get the picture up again, that would be great, but even better would be a brief video of you doing the whole kick. Its hard to see a lot in a snapshot.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Well, the picture wouldn't come up. But, I do have thoughts on this kick in general.

First off, the run isn't what's important. When I do this kick, I take the two steps, and instead of thinking about really going forward, I tend to use the steps to start "bounding," and then when reach the jump, I really throw the kicking leg up hard, and focus on jumping up instead of forward.

Now, the kick. Really focus on tucking that trailing leg. It helps make the kick look higher than it might actually be, and if you really pull that leg up and back into that tuck position, it helps you lock the hip of your kicking into position for that nice "pose" we all like to see. And its functional and powerful that way.

Finally, the landing. When I land, I land on the trail leg with the kicking leg in the rechamber position, then chamber my blocks, then set the foot down and block strong, finishing in a good stance.

Hope that helps. If you can somehow get the picture up again, that would be great, but even better would be a brief video of you doing the whole kick. Its hard to see a lot in a snapshot.

Here it is. I don't like my hand positioning. A bit rusty, it seems.
https://postimg.cc/image/joj5f08d3/792aba27/

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hand positioning is not bad. I'd try to turn the lead hand over so the knuckles are up, and pull the other hand back tighter to the ribs, but they aren't that far off. Those little tips are for style points more than anything.

Otherwise, the kicking leg looks good, and you've got a nice tuck with the base leg. I wish I could still do that...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: