Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushinkai, Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: My kicks have really improved Reply with quote

This was one of my weakest areas but one where I now think I've made the most notable progress. My kick height was real low and just in general really sloppy technique. Falling over backwards, sideways, all kinds of balance issues. Kicking with the leg first instead of the knee.

Well this evening we worked on yoko-geri and mawashi-geri. One big thing that helped me with mawashi-geri was making a conscious effort to lean forward instead of leaning backwards (and thus losing my balance). Similar principle with yoko-geri but I noticed a big difference here when I really focused on throwing the knee up first.

I wasn't getting head height today but that's OK. I was getting a respectable height for me (chest height more or less) but more importantly my technique looked and felt really good. They looked like real kicks! Not just some kind of sloppy motion of whipping my leg in the air... This is a big breakthrough for me.

I attribute success to being more relaxed and focused, as well as stretching and light exercise I've been doing at home. In the past on "days off" I would give myself permission to do literally nothing. Now at the very least I go for a light walk and/or do a light to moderate stretch every single day. My philosophy is the body's gotta be greased up constantly or else it gets complacent.

Another thing my instructor pointed out to me was, not to be so tense. Like I said, I've tried to make a conscious effort to be more relaxed but he helped me realize today that I'm still carrying a lot of tension in my body. Mentally I felt more relaxed but I am still holding myself very rigid. Kicking was not so much of a problem but I noticed this rigidity a lot with closed-fist techniques and in kata. Tonight I didn't quite have the opportunity to make major adjustments to this but I could "feel" the rigidity and see how it's holding back my performance.

Anyway, feeling good about my karate. Feeling ready to take on the challenges. I'm at an orange belt (Shotokan) and I have already started studying for my green belt exam that will hopefully take place in December. I will do my best to be ready, and more importantly, to improve my technique and spirit each and every day.

Thanks folks.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your kicks improving!!

In time, and only then, will you kicks improve across the board even more so; height, power, and appreciation. Yes, I did say appreciation. Oftentimes, students are their worse enemy; downing themselves when they've not even scratched the surface of whatever troubles them.

You're in the beginning throes of being that beginner student, and no matter what, you can not rush the nurturing of the Kihon whatsoever.

No matter what, every question deserves an answer, however, that answer must come from your CI; that's where the final authority lies.

Have fun with it, yet be serious with it!!

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having similar experiences with low kicks, tenseness, and then improvement. It feels pretty good when you break out of a plateau! Keep it up!

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei8, thank you for your insightful post as always. The part about not rushing kihon struck a chord with me. One question - could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "appreciation" of my kicks, or in general? I don't quite grasp what you mean and I do know that I tend to down myself.

Singularity6, thanks for the encouragement. You do the same!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortyafter wrote:
Sensei8, thank you for your insightful post as always. The part about not rushing kihon struck a chord with me. One question - could you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "appreciation" of my kicks, or in general? I don't quite grasp what you mean and I do know that I tend to down myself.

Singularity6, thanks for the encouragement. You do the same!

To the bold type above...

No matter the level of experience of the MAist, the MA is not something that we're made to do at birth. The MA can be a difficult thing to grasp across the board.

Some things that we learn are easier to grasp, and while other things that we learn are more difficult to grasp. It's those difficult things to grasp of the MA that are more appreciative whenever we have our "Aha" moments.

Your difficulty with kicks, whichever kick it might be, is something that you will learn to appreciate over time. The countless hours of training just one kick isn't an act of futility, but more of an act of appreciation.

Look up Shu Ha Ri. This MA principle is littered, if not riddled, with many, many moments of appreciation of growth. This...that...is the MA; we'd have it no other way!!

Appreciate everything that is the MA because there was an infinitesimal moment of life where you...me...others knew nothing about the beauty, and just how difficult it can be, and is, to grasp, that's of the MA. That time was yesterday, and it was today, and it will be tomorrow.

Train hard...train well!!

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei8, yes, I understand what you're saying now. That is a great way to look at. Thanks for this.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great shortlyafter. Over the course of your training you'll find you hit plateaus and if you power through things will eventually improve.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up the good work shortyafter

shortyafter
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the encouragement!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: