Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to see some good news here.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday, Linda and me went to a local Prostate Support Group; it was uplifting for the both of us. Many questions and concerns were alleviated for both of us, as well.

Tony, the gentleman who runs this particular support group is a 15 year Prostate Cancer survivor. He's only 59 years old. His knowledge about a many things that surround the topic, if topic is the right word, of Prostate Cancer and its many treatments and continued research's; blew me away.

Then there's an MD that co-runs this same support group, and he too is a Prostate Cancer survivor. Matter of fact, he's a patient of the same Oncologist that I am, Dr. Oscar Goodman. Between these two that run this support group, I sincerely believe that I can learn and receive understanding.

I answered their many questions.

The word survivor, as taught in this support group is that ALL prostate cancer patients are survivors. We're surviving Prostate cancer because we're still fighting the good fight each and everyday.

This support group only meets the first Wednesday of each month. When we attended, there was one other survivor, besides Tony and the Doctor, and us. Next meeting in December will have 20+ other members there, which is the usual compliment of attendees.

Listening and talking to other Prostate cancer survivors should expand that which I don't know and lessen that which I'm afraid of. I've a company that I can talk with and share the ups and downs together. Everyday, I'm so alone; nobody to talk to, and that loneliness is far more overwhelming than I can stand. There's no cure, none whatsoever.

There's a light at the end of the tunnel somewhere, and I'll forge forward until I'm bathed in its embraced.

Next visit to Dr. Goodman is scheduled for 12/08/2021 for my Lupron shot at 2PM, and then on 12/13/2021 at 145PM for a follow-up!!

This Saturday we'll renew our medical insurance, and this terrifies me to no end because of the roller coaster ride we were on last year; 15 weeks of uncertainty and despair. The Zero down, or whatever it's called, has ended, which means we'll have to make a monthly payment of $200+, of which we'll not be able to afford. Money before patient care!!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob,

I'm so glad to hear that you found this support group. It sounds like its is already helping.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, this is all amazing news. So happy you found that support group, it's a great place to share info' and get insights from people who go through the same war. If Patrick is OK with this, please PM me your zelle email account. I'll gladly cover the first $200. It's not a lot, compared to what you have to pay for your medical care, but I hope it helps. Hang in there

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great news, Bob! Finding a support group like that is an amazing boon for you! So happy for you!

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those following this thread, I wanted to mention that there is no a GoFundMe to help support Bob financially as he continues his fight against cancer.

GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-robert-mitcham-fight-cancer

Community announcement: https://www.karateforums.com/let-s-help-sensei8-in-his-time-of-need-vt55160.html

Thank you.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:
Received my Treatment shot of Eligard (Leuprolide Acetate) 30mg yesterday, December 8, 2020. Albeit, for some strange reason, the shot wasn't like the last one. Last shot I felt a hot fire sensation in my left shoulder at about half-way through the injection, my shoulder back then was on fire for just about 15 seconds. This time, at the exact same injection location, was about the same except that I experienced that same hot fire but this time I experienced a lot of pain for about 25 seconds.

This shot has to be injected slowly; matter of fact, Eligard (Leuprolide Acetate) is a chemical that must be kept in a freezer, which means it takes about 30 minutes to get to room temperature. I'm told the burning sensation is because of the chemical found inside the shot. Why it hurt so much this time is unknown, but good ding-a-ling it HURT!!

Had a hard time driving home because I wasn't feeling so good after my Treatment shot at all. I slept a few hours once I got home, and once I woke up, I felt a little better, but my left shoulder sure was sore.

At first, they were out of Eligard, and what they did have required a much longer needle. They mentioned to give my shot to by butt, but I squashed that immediately because last time I had a Treatment shot back there, I was on fire for 30 long minutes. No thank you!! They told me they can do my left shoulder instead.... thank you, Lord!!

I'll see my Oncologist this Friday morning, 830am. I'll discuss with him about why I didn't have my Radiation Therapy as scheduled, as well as a few other items of concern.

Linda and I weren't able to attend the Support Group on December 1, 2021 at 7pm because I wasn't feeling well at all. We'll try to attend January 5, 2022, God willing.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Saw my Oncologist this morning. He had not received my blood work lab results yet which I did on Tuesday. He'll check with the lab and get back to me with the results.

Dr. Goodman, after our conversation over my concerns, says that with my body responding very well, that we can hold off on the Radiation Therapy until June. This will also allow my GoFundMe campaign a chance to receive more donations. Dr. Goodman was glad to know that we started a GoFundMe page because he's well aware of the struggles we're having financial.

I also spoke to Dr. Goodman about the severe pain I'm experience in my mid-back just below my shoulder blade radiating horizontally across my mid-back. He examined me, asked a few questions, and poked here/there, he then says that that's in relationship of my T12, which has a microdot of cancer. So, Dr. Goodman orders a Chest and Thoric Spine X-Ray to see if that's the reason or if I just slept wrong one night.

If the X-Rays shows strong indications that I didn't sleep wrong one night about a week and a half ago, he'll order a shot to my T12. This is an outpatient procedure, and I'll be wide awake. Now, this shot acts like concrete for the body, which immediately takes the pain away; I've a brand-new appreciation for concrete.

X-Ray results will take a week. I've an appointment with Dr. Goodman in 4 weeks.

All in all, no concerns and no worries from Dr. Goodman!!

Interesting side bar...Dr. Goodman's dad, Oscar Goodman, was once the Mayor of Las Vegas from 1999 to 2011, and Dr. Goodman's mom, Carolyn Goodman, succeeded him as mayor in 2011, where she's the current Mayor of Las Vegas.

My next appointment with Dr. Goodman will be January 13, 2022 at 8:30am.

Last edited by sensei8 on Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wayofaswede
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu, Goju-ryu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish you strength and courage in the current battle, sensei (read this today). You’re in my thoughts and prayers

Not a day without a kata
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 17 of 28
Jump to: