Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: My New Fight; Prostate Cancer Reply with quote

I've just been diagnosed with Prostate Cancer.

What's next??

CT Scan on August 26, 2020 and follow-up on August 28, 2020; Bone Scan appointment hasn't been set as of yet, but should be quite soon because these scans take priority. CT Scans take about 30-60 minutes, whereas, a Bone Scans can last 1-3 hours...oh boy.

These scans determine Stages and if said cancer has spread; and it's aggressive or not. Off these scans, treatments are entertained. I'm praying for local treatments and not systemic treatments.

At my last blood work, my PSA was at 29. My Gleason Score, as of my biopsy, is a 9...what the Gleason Score indicates, well, I've no idea if that score is promising or not; I've submitted that exact question to my Urologist through his portal.

Here's what I know:

1) I have Prostate Cancer
2) I need a CT Scan
3) I need a Bone Scan
4) I'm at High Risk for the cancer spreading outside of the prostate

Sad thing is that there's no cancer history in my family, on either side!! Bad enough I have Afib, but now this as well...discouraging as all get out.

Doctor told me yesterday that of all of the cancers, Prostate is the best to have, with seems odd to say. Life expectancy is long term, even in Stage 4. Of course, other parameters are taken into consideration. Medical treatments and all have gone a long way, and in short, the medical field has gotten far better at treating Prostate Cancer.

Will this affect my MA training and teaching?? For now, no!! Hard to tell because I've not started any treatment as of yet. If the treatment proves to be more tasking on me, then I'll decide options.

Life expectancy at this moment is to early to predict. No matter how long I might have, I'm a fighter, and I will fight!! I might lose a battle or two, but I will win this war!!

Please, men, allow me this time to encourage you to do regular blood work to determine your PSA, but of course, speak with your doctor, and not me.

This fight is in God's hand!!

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and God speed.

A Rarely Used Blog:
An Uncertain Path

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wado Heretic wrote:
Good luck and God speed.

Thank you, Wado Heretic; means the world to me!!

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very saddened to hear this, Sensei. I wish you all the best of luck, and my prayers are with you.

I have no doubt whatsoever that you’re a fighter and will fight this with more will and determination than anything you’ve fought before. I also have no doubt that you’ll win this fight by living your life on your terms and not on the illness’s terms.

Again, prayers sent your and your loved ones’ way. There’s no doubt in my mind you’ll win this battle, regardless of the ultimate outcome. It doesn’t need to be said, but I still feel like I have to for some reason - we’re all here for you to lean on, laugh with, cry with, vent to, complain to, celebrate victories to, and everything else like that. Publicly and privately.

Last edited by JR 137 on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
Very saddened to hear this, Sensei. I wish you all the best of luck, and my prayers are with you.

I have no doubt whatsoever that you’re a fighter and will fight this with more will and determination than anything you’ve fought before. I also have no doubt that you’ll win this fight by living your life on your terms and not on the illness’s terms.

Again, prayers sent your and your loved ones’ way. There’s no doubt in my mind you’ll win this battle, regardless of the ultimate outcome. It doesn’t need to be said, but I still feel like I have to for some reason - we’re all here for you to learn on, laugh with, cry with, vent to, complain to, celebrate victories to, and everything else like that. Publicly and privately.

Thank you, JR; means the world to me!!

As I did when I was losing weight, I'll keep an running update here whenever they occur during this fight. Still some uncertanties as to the unknown, like what the scans will reveal and just how serious those results might be, and treatment options.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear Bob, you certainly have faced all sorts of challenges in the last few years. Keep your body strong for the fight and we will be praying for your early recovery!! In the interim, just don't get the COVID! I look forward to sharing another BBQ lunch with you in the future!!!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulltahr wrote:
Sorry to hear Bob, you certainly have faced all sorts of challenges in the last few years. Keep your body strong for the fight and we will be praying for your early recovery!! In the interim, just don't get the COVID! I look forward to sharing another BBQ lunch with you in the future!!!

Thank you, Ken; means everything to me!! I too look forward to having lunch with you once again soon. Doing my best to keep my spirits up and keeping my body strong, as well as doing all I can do to NOT catch the Covid-19.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bone Scan set up for August 13, 2020 at 8AM.

Visit Instructions....

Preparation: No preparation needed

Time: Total 3-4 hours to complete

Initial: Interview will take 15-30 minutes
Return 2-3 hours later for scan
Scan will take 30-60 minutes to complete

Hopefully neither of these Scans will be as claustrophobic as the MRI's I've done in the past.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob,

I appreciate that you trust the community enough to share this with us.

This is terrible news, and am sending positive vibes your way that you will beat this as quickly and painlessly as possible. Beyond that, I hope that you see the community as a supportive force in your life and here to provide a boost in this fight whenever we can.

Patrick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
Hey Bob,

I appreciate that you trust the community enough to share this with us.

This is terrible news, and am sending positive vibes your way that you will beat this as quickly and painlessly as possible. Beyond that, I hope that you see the community as a supportive force in your life and here to provide a boost in this fight whenever we can.

Patrick

Patrick,

Thank you for allowing and trusting me enough to share this with the community.

Your words, Patrick, mean everything to me, and I sincerely thank you for them. I do see the community as that supportive force and here to give me that added boost.

After all, I've always seen this community as family!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28
Jump to: