Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: My Sensei is in Critical Condition Reply with quote

While I think most people here on KF know who I am, they may not know my Sensei, Richard Poage, except perhaps through our Waza Wednesday videos on YouTube. He is an amazingly talented and knowledgeable martial artist, and he has really shaped my understanding of karate, and guided my development, and he is like a brother to me. Last weekend, he went with another student and I out to San Diego to attend Iain Abernethy's seminar there. On the drive back to Phoenix, he had a seizure. Now, he has been having migraines and getting nauseous for the past month or two, but the seizure was new. We rushed him to a hospital, where they discovered a large tumor in his brain. He was airlifted to UC San Diego Health for emergency surgery, and has been in the Neurosurgery ICU there ever since. He has had two emergency surgeries to remove the tumor, and the hematoma it caused on the other side of his brain. He has drain tubes in his skull to reduce the swelling, a breathing tube to make sure the level of sedation needed to keep him asleep doesn't stop him from breathing, and a feeding tube to give him some nutrition. He has developed a lesion on his heart, and pneumonia, now, as well.

This whole situation has been a huge shock to everyone--you don't expect a 32 year old professional martial artist to be suddenly taken down by a brain tumor. Unfortunately, as he is uninsured, the costs for his treatment are going to be astronomical. I have set up a GoFundMe to try and raise money to take care of some of it, so his family has one less thing to worry about, and Patrick has been kind enough to allow me to post about it here. If you can, we would greatly appreciate any donation you could make, and if you would share the fundraiser with your friends. Every little bit helps, and is truly appreciated. Thank you!

https://www.gofundme.com/richard-poages-brain-surgery
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sending my thoughts and prayers to your Sensei Noah.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to hear this Noah. Just donated. Best wishes for his recovery.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei Poage, his family, and friends, in and out of the dojo are in my daily prayers ever since you posted about this on FB. This situation is a difficult one across the board.

Soon as I read about Sensei Poage, I remembered what all of us went through at the SKKA/Hombu whenever Dai-Soke had his first stroke; devastated us, but when he suffered his second stroke, not to far apart from the first stroke, he passed away; that floored us!!

I've an inkling as to what all of you are experiences. Hang in there, and know that there are a lot of people, both near and far, and more than you can even imagine are praying for Sensei Poage daily.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praying for a full recovery for your sensei. The saving grace is that he was with you when it happened. You probably saved his life.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, everyone! Our most recent update on his condition isn't great, but we are still hopeful. The tumor turned out to be malignant, and there is still some of it in his brain, although the oncologist is optimistic about it. He is still asleep, and hasn't been able to wake up yet, but the doctors want to give him more time for that on his own. There are two damaged areas in his brain--the right temporal lobe and left frontal lobe. The rest of his brain tissue is healthy, and should hopefully be able to compensate for the damage. He still has a fever, as well, but they are keeping it in check.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are with your sensei, Noah. Hope he makes a speedy and full recovery.

Mo.

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the sad news of Sensei Poage's passing. I offer my deepest condolences.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mushybees wrote:
I just read the sad news of Sensei Poage's passing. I offer my deepest condolences.

I extend my deepest condolences, as well to his wife, Tiffany, family and friends on the passing of Sensei Poage. Heaven must have needed a new angel!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noah,

I am deeply sorry to hear about your Sensei. My deepest condolences go out to his family and all of his students (Dojo family). You'll all be in my prayers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: