Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, trying to keep up...this season had presented many challenges, and we've missed more tournaments than I would have liked to.

On Feb 15, each of my boys had a tournament; Kenneth I took to Hill City, and Kendall's middle school team went to a town called Larned.

Kenneth, unfortunately, had a rough go. It was a small tournament, and he was set up with a best two out of three with a kid his age, but 30 lbs heavier than him (two weight classes). Kenneth lost both matches, unfortunately, but we did use them as a chance to focus on some tactics.

I told him to really focus on moving on his feet, being aggressive, and either circling or driving forward, but not to back up too much. And also on hand-fighting to get the position he wanted, and then attempt his attacks. In match 1, he did a decent job of that, but at one point just got stuck underneath the bigger kid, and gravity took care of the rest. Match 2 ended up much the same way, but he took his opponent into the depths of the second period. He had a few opportunities, and we discussed them, and he talked to me about what he was experiencing out there, and in the end, I think he learned some things. He did get a 2nd place medal, and for giving up 30 lbs, I think it was still earned.

We got done early enough at Kenneth's tournament to make the hour and half drive to Larned to see him finish up his tournament. Before I got there, he won his first match, lost his second, and then I got there in time to seem him win his third match with a pin in the first period. His next match, he lost, getting pinned in the second period, but went on to win his last match, which put him on the medal stand with 3rd place.

One of the big takeaways from today, for Kendall, was that he started taking some shots again, which he was getting away from the more he seems to move up in weight.

On Thursday, 2/20, Kendall had his league tournament. He won his first match with a pin in the second period. The first period was spent jockeying for position for a takedown. The other kid was pretty active on his feet, and tried to set some headlocks, but Kendall evaded them well. Kendall tried to get a half-hearted headlock takedown at the end of the period, but it was out of bounds and he really didn't have good control, so they went to the second period, where he started on top. He got a good breakdown, and worked to a really tight single-wrist/half, and won with the pin.

His second match was against an opponent that he'd wrestled before, that is pretty good, looked heavier (although they were all around 215), and he knew would be a challenge. So Kendall came out aggressive and tried to take him down with a blast double. He had a hand up too high, though, and he basically got caught in a cow-catcher, turned over and pinned in the first.

So, working the backside now. His next match was against a really tall, skinny kid that tried to set up headlocks. Kendall countered with his own, did the nicest throw I think I've ever seen him do, and pinned the kid in the first period. (Bob, that was the one you got to see on FB).

Last match, medal round. He faced an opponent he'd faced several times, and has been able to beat. The kid is a little taller, but less experienced. Kendall worked on his feet pretty good, trying to get behind, but just missed a takedown from the rear. Eventually, it became the headlock fight, and Kendall won that, pinning him towards the end of the first period.

So, he finished the day 3-1, and placed 3rd, which he was pretty excited about. A good finish to the middle school season, and now, we'll give the kid's season a go.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, time to finish off this season.

Kendall, due to some other obligations, was unable to compete in the District 4 Championship tourney we had here in town on 3/7. Kenneth, however, did compete.

Kenneth lost his first two matches, getting pinned. I again thought he was doing well on his feet, moving and working with his hands, but I think he just needs to learn how to finish after getting into the position he wants. He did get to wrestle a third match for 5th/6th place, which the tournament does in order to fill out the state bracket if need be. Kenneth made it through the first period, even though he got taken down, he kept good position. When they went to the second period, I told the coach to put him on top. Coach did, and Kenneth broke the kid down, turned him, and pinned him. So, he ended 1-2 on the day, 5th place, but unfortunately, not a state qualifier.

But....the day after the tourney, I got a call from one of the coaches who said the state tournament organizers were filling out the brackets, and in order to get a full bracket, Kenneth's name came up. Kenneth was excited, and said he wanted to go, so we committed to the state tournament! Hooray!

...But alas, our story ends on a downer, as the State tournament ended up being canceled due to the Covid 19 spread. Kenneth was super bummed about that.

So that's how this year ends....in limbo.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both had another great season, imho; both winners in my book; win some and lose some, but what they learn from their experience, is undeniable. Knowledge and experience for them both has been absorbed already, that to me is a win win situation.

They've a great coach, great teammates, great parents, and great support across the board.

It's a bummer that Covid-19 caused them to close down, but it's for the best, and they will understand that soon enough; better late than never. I look forward in following them next season with excitement.

GO KENDALL AND KENNETH!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Bob! It was a challenging season, to say the least. To start off, this year the season was shortened quite a bit, so fewer tournaments to get to. We missed out on the first few tournaments of the year due to my work schedule, and then missed several more when my mother passed away. Top it all off with Covid 19 finishing the season. So, it was a rough all around, but, onward and upward.

Baseball season is around the corner, so never a dull moment in the Walker house!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if there's even a baseball season. Gatherings of 10 people or more in Houston are cancelled for the next 8 weeks, and larger venues until further notice. Covid-19 is crazy. Restaurants and bars are forced to close, and in the restaurants, only take-out or drive-thru is allowed. Houston schools closed until April 10th. Oh what fun!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Governor of the State of Kansas has ordered schools closed FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR! But, learning is not canceled, so we have to figure out how to get our kids through their regularly scheduled classes from at home, all the while working full-time jobs of our own.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
The Governor of the State of Kansas has ordered schools closed FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR! But, learning is not canceled, so we have to figure out how to get our kids through their regularly scheduled classes from at home, all the while working full-time jobs of our own.

Oh, that seems...well...fun...while Vicky and you holding down full time jobs. Glad our kids are grown up now. Even if our kids were still in school, we'd have no problem because Linda is a school teacher with a Masters in Education. Hopefully, you'll be able to download their required classes and materials, as well as how and where to obtain that, at hopefully no charge.

I wonder if Kendall and Kenneth loved the idea when they heard that even though schools closed for the rest of the year, they STILL had to go to school...at home.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was a high/low moment for the boys...lol.

That business will start up next week for us. I went and picked up Kenneth's Chromebook this week, so we'll see how this goes.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A parents work is never ever done; wouldn't have it any other way. Is the Chromebook full of Kenneth's lesson plans or what??

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not that I know of, anyway. We picked up all his books along with it, so I think the gist is that we'll be assigned work from the books, and they assignments will be completed through some Google sheets or docs or something like that, and then submitted to the teacher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 22 of 26
Jump to: