Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Joppe
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, MMA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: My story. Want to start training karate, but I'm confused Reply with quote

I have been lurking in the forum for a while, and finding many post very helpful. Hopefully I can get some good feedback and answers to my situation.

I have always been interested in MA, and have always had a wish to reach a level in a MA where I master the basics and the training becomes a integrated part of my life.

Now I have decided to really do something about my dreams. I'm not getting younger (36 now) and I'm not getting in good shape (now 6'4" and 240lbs) by just dreaming. Now is the time for action.

15 years ago I started training Aikido. I loved it. Expecially the fokus on the mind. Finding peace and calmness in your mind, at the same time as getting in shape, is exactly what I want.

The dojo had gradings once a year. I worked hard and was looking forward to being tested and beeing recognized for what I had learned.
Two months before the grading, I got sick (bad flu combined with asthma) and had to take a break for 3 weaks. After the break I was motivated and working even harder to reach my first goal. A week before the grading, my sensai told me that my 3 week pause, disqualifid me for the grading, and that I should take a break and start with the new beginners the following year. I felt like 1 years of hard training 2-3 days a week, was a waste and I quit. My dreams of MA were gone. I felt disrespected and treated like dirt.

Some years later the dream of MA returned. This time I went to a Iado/Kendo dojo and got my motivation back. It was a great MA, but just as my motivation came back and my dream was alive, the dojo closed down because of bad leadership and economical problems.

Once again I felt like running into a wall. Was I not meant to train MA? Why a setback everytime I wanted to make a drem come true?

Well, years have gone by. A wife and a kid is now in the picture, and they have taken all my time and money, but now my dream om MA has returned.

Investigating the different MA styles in my city, I have decided that karate is what I want, But it is a big city, and tons of dojos fokusing on just as many different styles of karate.

I try to read everything I can, but I am still confused about what style that would fit me. What I am looking for is:

*A style focused on the power of the mind as much as the power of the fist. Calmness, selfcontrol and security means more to me, than beeing able to beat people up in a different ways.

*I value tradition and respect, and expect that to be a natural part of the training.

* It does not have to be realistic. I have not needed streetfighting skills for my first 36 years, I doubt I will need it in the future. I am not the guy that gets in fights.

*Grading should be a natural part of the learning process. I dont see gradings and belts as something exclusive, where every single grading should take years to achieve. In other words - rather many gradings in the beginning to keep the motivation up, and fewer and more demanding the more experienced I get.

* A good way to get in shape (I know food means more than excersize, but it would be great if the training could help getting me in shape).

So all you karateexperts out there. What style will you recommend? Shotokan? Kyokushin? Goju-ryu or something completely else?

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am of course biased but I think Okianwan Karate would supply all of these, it's not just physical, it is mental and spiritual and there are many styles of Okinawan Karate to choose from. Shorin Ryu, Shotokan, Goju Ryu, Shito Ryu to name but a few. The deciding factor is the Sensei and the way the Karate is taught; if you find a good one, hang on to them!

Joppe
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan, MMA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Harkon.

I have been looking into the different clubs in the city, and visited a few of them yesterday nad today.

I was surprised that most of them seemed 'dodgy' (old warehouses and people with a little too many tribal tattoos kind of club).

But I found some that left a good impression. When it comes down to the clubs and the atmosphere, my options are shotokan and Gyu-ryu.

Maybe I should just take the free beginners classes both places, and see what I like the most.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joppe wrote:
Maybe I should just take the free beginners classes both places, and see what I like the most.

This is the best option. We can tell you all day what we think it fun but it's about what you find fun. Check out the classes and see which one fits you the most. Make sure to keep up updated!

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Harkon72
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Okinawan Karate, Aikido, Ninpo.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find that Shotokan and Goju Ryu are very different. But that said, it's the quality of the Sensei that matters. Don't let anyone put you under any pressure; if they offer too much, or they ask you to sign anything. Use common sense and your gut instinct. My best tip is that expense doesn't guarantee quality, having hundreds of students doesn't either. You can find a good Dojo that are honest and up front, good luck.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joppe wrote:
...I was surprised that most of them seemed 'dodgy' (old warehouses and people with a little too many tribal tattoos kind of club)...

...Maybe I should just take the free beginners classes both places, and see what I like the most.

Hey, now--I've done some good training in dodgy warehouses, and I know some great people with too many tattoos. Don't judge

In all seriousness, your best bet is pretty much ALWAYS to try out classes and see which place you like best.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

lowereastside
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung fu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: My story. Want to start training karate, but I'm confused Reply with quote

Ask around - try finding a good instructor - and a style that won't put to much pressure on the knees. Anyhow - Good Luck

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've done some reading you say, so that's good. Now, do some legwork, and get out there and take a look at the different schools available to you. Each instructor has a different teaching style and focus, so you need to watch their classes and talk to them and ask them questions in regards to what you are seeking out. That will be much easier than the rest of us trying to guide you towards your goals through our own experiences.

Best of luck to you, and let us know what you decide. And welcome to KarateForums.com!

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as i am bias because i study Goju-Ryu but it is an excellent style to study. But you have to have a look at the sensei who runs the classes.

As you need a good one that can teach you what you need and also still follow traditions.

At my dojo we hold gradings every few months, but it depends on the number of people who are eligible to grade. But what we generally do is hold it in class time to have extra students come do the grading. But this is only for the adults (as this is more relevant for you than the juniors grading).

Just remember that Shotokan and Goju-Ryu are very different styles.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
*A style focused on the power of the mind as much as the power of the fist. Calmness, selfcontrol and security means more to me, than beeing able to beat people up in a different ways.

Those tenets do exist, or they should. So, you'll be seeing, feeling, and learning those things in a quality dojo.

Quote:
*I value tradition and respect, and expect that to be a natural part of the training.

That should be found in a quality dojo. It shouldn't be forced, but expected from ALL, instructor(s) and students alike.

Quote:
* It does not have to be realistic. I have not needed streetfighting skills for my first 36 years, I doubt I will need it in the future. I am not the guy that gets in fights.

EFFECTIVE!! That's what you should be looking for. Is, what you're learning, effective? If not, RUN!! The idea is to not be in a fight, but if it happens, hopefully you'll have enough to apply it effectively.

Quote:
*Grading should be a natural part of the learning process. I dont see gradings and belts as something exclusive, where every single grading should take years to achieve. In other words - rather many gradings in the beginning to keep the motivation up, and fewer and more demanding the more experienced I get.

Can I be honest? You might not like this.

This, and this alone would not allow me to accept you as a student. Why? You will grade when it's appropriate, not sooner. We conduct testing cycles every quarter, but, you have to be invited by myself. If you want to test at the Hombu, same thing, you have to be invited. However, your request must first be approved, and then, and only then will you possible receive an invitation. A request doesn't guarantee an invite to test. With both, you have to first turn in your request for testing with myself, if you're at my dojo, or with the Hombu if you want to test there. But at the Hombu, that testing cycle is once a year, but every quarter for those who call the Hombu their home dojo.

In that, rank isn't important! Knowledge is!! In that, Effective applied knowledge is tantamount!! Please, don't worry about when you can test, but worry about what knowledge you are gaining.

I'm not there to motivate students through testing grades because not all pass, and our fail rate is high. Why? Because we're extremely, well, stubborn in that area. Our expectations are high, and not because we want to be, it's because we have to. Our students expect that, and they want it no other way!!

Let the testing cycles happen whenever they happen, and when they do, let the testing cycle take care of itself. Train hard, and train well!!

Quote:
* A good way to get in shape (I know food means more than excersize, but it would be great if the training could help getting me in shape).

Oh yeah...you'll get in shape because you'll be challenged each and everyday at the dojo.

Hang in there, visit as many schools of the MA that you can. When you find one you like, visit it a ton of times for all ranks and ages to get the feel of the entire dojo. Ask for a trail-lesson as well.

You'll be fine!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: