Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

xirus
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Need advice for my second martial art Reply with quote

Next schoolyear I will go to university, where I will live, so I can't continue to go to my current kyokushin club...

However where I will go, there are no kyokushin clubs, so I have to choose something else. Something that doesn't allow punches on the head, I don't want to destroy my brains

There are (as far as I can find over the internet) wadu ryu, shotokan, taekwondo, kungfu, judo and possibly hapkido clubs

Coming from a kyokushin club, I'm NOT looking for a half-contact karate style like wadu ryu or shotokan...
From my experience I know that I'm MUCH better with my legs than my hands (I'm a tall, skinny guy with long legs ). So you can also forget judo, I want something with kicks...

Above this, I lean more towards a self defence MA rather than a competitive sport. And I'd rather spend time fighting than doing kata stuff. (although I don't mind doing the latter)

So basicly, taekwondo, kungfu or hapkido??
I've done a lot of research on this, but I think I better ask you guys, who have experience in these styles.

Taekwondo seems perfect for me since they are using more kicks, but I don't like it's competitive character.

Hapkido seems the opposite: self defence oriented, but does it use a lot of kicks? Are there kata's?

Then kungfu: I actually don't really know a lot about thisone, kata's? kicks? self defence?

I hope you can help me out here!
(and I know you will say, check out the clubs first, but I'd rather have an idea about what to do first)

Thanks in advance

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very hard to fine a good school of Hapkido and TKD. And bording on impossiple to find a non mcdojo kung fu school.

Personally, I do believe that Judo would really make you well rounded with your karate experience.

However, Shotokan is probably the closest to Kyokyshin.

A Hapkido club that gives out a BB in 2 years is not so good.

Kung Fu is such a broad term, you going to have to tell us the names of the styles.

All the best

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find a very traditional Shotokan school it will be full contact.

However when looking into second styles you basically got 2 options.

1. Pick an art very close to yours so the learning curve is less and you can pretty much pick it up quick.

2. Is to take an art very differant than yours to make yourslef more rounded as a Martial Artists.

If it was me I would find the best teacher and go from there. Watch each class a few times talk to the students and see what they think. Any art will give you good training if it has a good teacher.

BonnyBoy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing, Krav Maga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking at a self defense aspect, I would highly reccomend learning how to use your hands so your hands are nasty!

Most fights start from punching range, not kicking range, so it makes sense to train this range primarily. After that, it's likely to go to the ground, so Judo would be a good choice, IMO - learning to break fall, some throws, learning about balance and leverage, a good judo club should incoproate some ground fighting, enough to hold your own against the average joe on the street so you can get back to your feet.

It takes sacrifice to be the best.

xirus
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I actually do it for fun too, and I don't think I like judo :/

I enjoy kicking in kushens most actually

I guesse I'll visit the most interesting schools then and see wichone looks the best - however how can I know who is a good teacher? How can a newbie see this?? I think I'm starting to find out who the good teachers are in my school, but to see that in a (completely) different style??
I guesse looking for the man with the highest rank won't do the trick

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there rank isnt a bad thing to look for, but without any other way i think its what your gunna have to do.

Ender
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe hapkido? it has no katas, lots of kicks, and it's not too competitive.

niel0092
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kali, TKD, judo (formerly)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the hapkido school. The "old school" ones do have forms as part of their training. I'd have a look at all of the available MA's at your school and see what feels right for you.

xirus
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that's one of the schools I'm definately going to visit...

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know what style of TKD it is? that can make a huge difference
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: