Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bygdaug
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

listen up people, hope u can gimme a hand. I am a 40 year old guy who's just going to get in to muay tai. Tell me honestly, will i be able to get it going. i have dabbled in various martial arts when i was younger, but nothing to serious. I guess that i should add that i can bench 320lbs., deadlift around 440lbs and can curl roughly 145 for reps, so i am not a slouch.I have to tell you, i really admire the style of fighting and the people that do it.

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome BYGDAUG to this forum, anthing is possible, so give it a try........good luck with your training........

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are never too old to train in Muay Thai. It is up to your coach and you to figure out how to ease you into it.. but that's true of anyone just starting out into Muay Thai. Heck, if you are in good shape, you should be fine. Strength is a very small factor in the Muay Thai training, we don't use the power of muscle to destroy the opponent, we use the power of body mechanics. I'm sure you'll find that training in Muay Thai is very rewarding and fun. Just don't do crazy stuff like kicking wooden poles, or rolling bottles down your shin or anything like that.. try to keep it real.

bygdaug
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys, (and girls!)are you telling me that strength will not play a part in mui tai? Dont get me wrong, i really appreciate the feedback but i am curious, don't body mechanics incorporate strength? I am really looking forward to this, and sharing experiences with you, only wish i had started a about 20 yrs. ago

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strength plays a small part. But what really gets the power into the striking is control and speed of the hips, not so much strength of muscles. Of course, the strength and power of the muscles that control the hip help. But being able to squat 600lbs or bench press 400 might help a little, but there are guys out there that aren't very strong but can kick with much power.

Danny boy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2001 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound pretty fit,you will find you will have to get the cardio going as MT is an aerobic sport.You may find at 40 that your injury rate maybe higher than someone in their 20's but that shouldn't be a problem unless you are competing.Your strength training will help when you do grappling and knees but speed and timing are the keys to your kicking and punching.What other martial arts have you done?

bygdaug
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a lot in the way of Martial Arts, like i said i dabbled in some when i was younger. But, i do have some exp. in Olympic wrestling ang Greco roman wres., actually i won the western canadian , that was a few years ago. But i work very hard for a living and as far as toughness goes, i'll bet i'm as tough as they come( not in the Muay Tai ring of course). I'm just looking for something to focus on, tired of working out in the gym( pumping iron). just seems to be a dead end, its not like i'm of competition material or anything, just a fairly strong man for being 40 and only 175 lbs., thanks guys for the responses, looking forward to the feedback...

Danny boy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like you would be good at NHB ever thought of that,they have elements of Muay Thai and the submission grappling.
There are some of the best fighters and gyms in this style of fighting in the US.

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2001 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, now this is the truth, I would train but not fight. Then I will be a coach. Watching your students win makes you feel like you are winning to. You don't get physical hurt but mentaly because seeing you favorite fighter getting hurt. Then you could promote the art.

bygdaug
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2001 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys, thanks for the replies.....Okay, what is NHB, is that no holds barred? hmmmm, if it is, i wish i had the time. I also have two children to support, gotta work. but just out of curiousity where would one train for that? at home? The coach thing is a very cool idea, but i'm not the kind of guy that likes to watch, i'm more of a hands on guy, i'm sure you know what i mean.By the way, anyone ever heard of the SikTai club in Winnipeg, Manitoba,Canada?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: