Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RedLynx
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if I get them it'll be my last post for awhile, so don't worry! Please take a look at the link below and tell me what you see.

http://www.seishinkan.com/seishin/sskbuki/howto/nunstring01.htm

Is it just me, or is the cord for the chucks down inside the chucks themselves? If this is true how do you see to tie? Also it seems the block on the inside was carved out (in wood chucks) rather complicated. Is there an easier way? I kinda want to be able to buy chair legs, rake hafts and things like that to make chucks out of. Or even take reasonable good foot long sticks from tree limbs (yep, we've got em here!) to make a pair of chucks right there. But if I do that it'll be hard to carve out that stuff in the chuck to seat the cord. At least that's how it looks to me. But maybe that's not the way it is diagrammed. Can you shed some light? Thanks.

"A fool can put on wisdom, but his foolisness will show." -Kurt Dopler

Nunchaku Sticks (chain variety)

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the same method I have used to restring my chucks. I used paracord because it last longer and it is actually easier to tie and it dosen't leave a big bulky knot on the side.

The cord does run down into the chucks probably no more than an inch to 2". I guess if you hollow out the top for your peice of wood, and place two holes through the sides to allow for your stringing, then you won't have to carve out the channels in the side.

The drawback is that the string is now fully exposed and can actually cause a problem when manipulating the chucks. Hope this answers some of your question or most. good luck!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cord does traditionall go down inside the nunchaku. The channels or grooves in the side are hollowed out for a purpose to allow the cord to stay recessed.

When you tie the know the ends of the cord are sticking outside the nunchaku. If you desire to get the cord inside of them slide the knot around after it is tied. It really isn't a difficult procedure. It does help though if you have handled a pair of corded nunchaku that have been retied before you try to tie your own if you are having a problem.

As an added thought the channel on the side is cleared with a chisel in the same manner as it is done for a hinge in a cabinet.

[ This Message was edited by: SaiFightsMS on 2002-05-20 19:05 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: