Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: "Need to Know" (5 Kicks) Reply with quote

The March 2011 issue of Black Belt magazine has an article by C. Lee Long, "Need to Know: The 5 Kicks Every Martial Artist Must Master," pp. 74-75.

I've read in a different article that the front kick and the roundhouse are all that are needed, but Long identifies five:

1. Front Kick
2. Side Thrust Kick
3. Thai Kick
4. Wheel Kick (roundhouse)
5. Heel-Thrust Kick

The photos and explanations given are very good in terms of self-defense, not sparring. Training/practice for self-defense, not in sparring, which has rules, would apply here.

jason ainley
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Chang Hon/ ITF Style Taekwon-do

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front rising kick { apcha oligi } generally used as a stretching exercise to warm up the hamstrings, but is also a very effective kick for self defense when used within grappling range targeting the groin with the shin bone.

A basic technique that does not need a high level of skill to execute.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason ainley wrote:

Front rising kick { apcha oligi } generally used as a stretching exercise to warm up the hamstrings, but is also a very effective kick for self defense . . . targeting the groin with the shin bone.

That's how the front kick is shown in the photo within the article, Jason. It's a woman who has an attacker grabbing her upper arms face-to-face. She has her lower shin striking, as you suggest.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With apcha olligi there is a danger of falling over though. Especially in beginners, the concentration is in throwing the leg up as high as possible (for the stretch) and the weight tends to go back. Seen plenty of people fall flat on their back, done it myself too before . All the power really relies on how much swing and momentum you can throw into it. Personally I'd prefer an upward knee kick in that situation or if the distance permits, a front snap kick.

What's the "heel-thrust" kick he's referring to Joe? Is it a back kick?

joesteph wrote:
I've read in a different article that the front kick and the roundhouse are all that are needed...

If you were only going to teach/practice two kicks I'd go with them two. They pretty much cover all angles. The front kick for targets that are straight ahead and the roundhouse for ones that you want to hit side on. If I was going to make it up to 5 kicks, personally I'd add in the side kick, back kick and hook kicks.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:

What's the "heel-thrust" kick he's referring to Joe? Is it a back kick?

The heel-thrust kick is like a front kick, Danielle, but imagine almost striking with the flat of the foot, except the heel is forward enough to make contact. In the photos, the woman is against a wall, and she's giving a good shot, like a shove with some kicking power to it, to her assailant. It's suggested to go for the solar plexus or the bladder.

I've seen a Muay Thai YouTube video of that kick, with the defender standing and leaning his body forward, stopping the forward motion of a much heavier man. When I studied at another school, several times I made the mistake of going straight forward against my sparring partner. I ran into that kick (wearing gear), and even though it could be a teenage girl who I far outweighed, I'd be stopped as she leaned into it, even if paused just long enough for her to move out of the way of my forward attack. (One of the problems of having done non-contact prior to this is that I didn't run into anything that stopped me. Someone can think s/he's a locomotive, when it just isn't so.)

jason ainley
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Chang Hon/ ITF Style Taekwon-do

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the rising kick balance is not really effected as much as other kicks, as the kick would not have to travel far to reach the intended target just rises up between the opponents legs to the groin.

Also a natural kick to throw if being forced backwards towards the ground by a stronger attacker,

But the kick like the upward knee kick would only be effective if applied within grappling range.

Kicking in self defence { in my view } is better as a finishing technique { exit technique} as kicking distance is easily cut down by the opponent moving forward, plus we lose our balance when we stand on one leg, not good if we have a large aggressive opponent moving towards us .

Jason

Last edited by jason ainley on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't use a heel front, so I can't comment, though it does sound a bit off balancing.

In general, I'd say what is mandantory is front and MT round. Those would be primary. Secondary would go to round and side.

If we must say 5 then an up kick from from the ground should be added and practiced. Very useful survival skill.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
We don't use a heel front, so I can't comment, though it does sound a bit off balancing.

In general, I'd say what is mandantory is front and MT round. Those would be primary. Secondary would go to round and side.

If we must say 5 then an up kick from from the ground should be added and practiced. Very useful survival skill.

I thought the heel front sounded like a push kick, which is a good distance holder, but I would rather hit with the ball of the foot. Grant uses those a lot.

Another kick I think we need to remember is the heel to the kidneys that Royce Gracie did from his guard before it got banned. Those things hurt.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the difference between his Thai kick and wheel kick? Targets, or technique?

I'd say front and round would be primary. Side kick is a good one, too, but I find it to be much harder for beginners to grasp well, and it takes more time to really develop (especially if they learn the round kick first). But, I'd keep it low, which makes proper execution easier, too. I'd also add a back kick, but can't think of what I'd add as a 5th for a basic self-defense kick the others don't cover.

mrjohn104
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: "Need to Know" (5 Kicks) Reply with quote

joesteph wrote:
The March 2011 issue of Black Belt magazine has an article by C. Lee Long, "Need to Know: The 5 Kicks Every Martial Artist Must Master," pp. 74-75.

I've read in a different article that the front kick and the roundhouse are all that are needed, but Long identifies five:

1. Front Kick
2. Side Thrust Kick
3. Thai Kick
4. Wheel Kick (roundhouse)
5. Heel-Thrust Kick

The photos and explanations given are very good in terms of self-defense, not sparring. Training/practice for self-defense, not in sparring, which has rules, would apply here.

That information is very useful for me. I'm working on this. Sincerely thank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: