Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SelenaWolf
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Need to know some things, help! Reply with quote

For a project for school, in entrepreneurship class, I am (theoretically only) starting up a martial arts school. I need to know the laws, regulations, and all that type of legal stuff. I've searched high and low, and can't find it.

Technically, I need to know: Any laws and regulations, If/what kind of registration, and any licences. Just incase this plays a part, I will be starting it in Ontario, Canada, and will be the sole owner (unless you guys point out what would be better and why.)

Please help me out, I'm out of time to switch projects.

Zhong Gau
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Fu Long Siu Choy Li Fut, Hung Gar, Ba Gua, Tai Chi, Tui Na.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you certainly have your hands full.

And you're basically out of time to start this one!

each state/province has its own laws regaurding training to use leathal force. Canada has some kind of non-lethality training certification.

Counties and Cities may further modify restrictions. your best bet is to find a public access legal law library and "Shepardize" your topic.

then you'd have to go to the small business licensing departments of your governments (city, county, and state/province) to find out thier requirements. then there's defining the market, identifying established competition and thier market share, funding and sources, program development, insurance, rent, utilities, advertising, transportation, fair costs and trying to earn a living. to learn about this basically puts you through the ropes of starting up a business in your town, which can take several months just to get the info when the governments aren't on holiday...and canada is notoriously slow in almost everything except tax collection.

SelenaWolf
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Oy, that's complicated...and our stupid teacher only gave us a few weeks to do this whole project. Well, thanks for the help, it's more info than I had anyway.

aefibird
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Past and present: 2 styles of Karate, TKD, Aikido, Wing Chun, some Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you train in Martial Arts already, then ask your school owner. If not, see if a local instructor will spare some time to chat with you about the legalities of running a martial arts school.

Good luck with your project!

Sheffield Steelers!

krzychicano
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: KSW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I agree with aefibird. Go ask your instructor if he is the actual owner or any other school that is around your area, im sure they will have alot of useful information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: